Coleman 639 'popping'

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Nonzo, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Nonzo

Nonzo South Africa Subscriber

I few months ago I overhauled the vapouriser of my 639 and was very happy with the way the lamp has performed since. However the last time I had the lamp going, it started to emit popping sounds in rapid succession. On closer inspection it appeared almost as if there was an explosion at the burner.
    The pop is fairly loud and quite violent. Activating the pricker rod made no difference and additional pumping served only to increase the tempo of the pops.

Fearing for the mantle, I turned the lamp off and left it for a few days. I guess I hoped that the problem might cure itself :lol: but when I fired it up again the popping recurred as soon as the lamp had heated up a bit.

I don't even know where to start in rectifying the fault. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Peter

2. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Hi Peter,
    Have you checked that the wire mesh screen in the burner cap is intact? It sounds to me as if the flame is jumping back from the mantle into the burner tube.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That's sound advice from Phil and a strip down and a good clean won't hurt that lantern either.

4. Nonzo

Hi Phil and Jeff, your diagnosis is spot on! I've just checked and find the mesh screen sitting inside the mantle! How I didn't see that, I don't know :oops:. Anyway, I'm pleased that it is such a simple fix. Many thanks.

5. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

@Nonzo

Hi Peter,

If the mesh screen has been dislodged it may not stay in place but if it does that's great.

The part number is 635-3151

I'd try contacting Phil, @phaedrus42, because he may have a spare in his parts bin and he is much closer to you so shipping would be much less.
    I think I have a new spare and I'd be willing to send it your way but the shipping cost would be on the higher side.

Cheers,

Norman

6. Nonzo

Hi Norman,

Many thanks for your response - and my apologies for a very slow reply.

Fortunately the screen has stayed in place - I flattened the concave slightly so as to increase the diameter before pressing it back and that seems to have done the trick.

BTW it was very generous of you to offer me a spare. Much appreciated.

Cheers