Coleman 639 slight flaring

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Dec 2, 2018.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I have a slight flaring outside the mantle on my 639, it's not much but the unburnt fuel smells and 'er indoors is none to happy about it! I thought it would clear up when I changed to a better mantle but apparently not. Is there a way to adjust the air flow like there is on a P'Max?

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

The jet may be worn or it may have loosened.

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

No Coleman lamps are not adjustable. Check the gas tip is a tight seal in the generator and if that fails to solve the problem then a new generator is probably the only solution. ::Neil::

4. ColinG

That's what I suspected :(

5. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

@ColinG

I checked to see if Base Camp has the 639 generator/vaporizer and they are temporarily out of stock.

Old Coleman Parts has the 639 but I don't know what shipping would cost.

https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=815&cat=38&page=1

There is one listing for the 639 generator/vaporizer on ebay UK and looks to be new old stock. There are 4 available.

Coleman replacement generator for 639 kerosene lamp lantern - 639A2992 | eBay

It is always good to have a few spares just in case.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Norman

6. ColinG

Thanks. I might get a couple actually!

7. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Hi all regarding the above post... I actually purchased one of these 639 Generators from that ebay site .. when I used it to convert my Coleman 295 dual fuel lantern to run on paraffin/kero...it was a straight fit exact and was
    delivered to me very quickly... my new kerofinized ;) 295 runs superb on this replacement.... apart from the other necessary work I had to do it was easy
    to fit ...
    ttfn
    Alb

8. ColinG

I was already planning on doing exactly what you've done having already changed the jet on the original generator.

With this one, I've opted to run it on Amish mix which solves the problem. Thing is, with the new mantle plus Amish mix it's so bright you can't actually look at it now!

9. Norman

If a jet/nipple is a bit worn the Amish mix works wonders and the light output does seem to be a bit on the brighter side of things
    The Amish state the vaporizers will last many times longer with the use of their mix which keeps the cost down.

Cheers

10. ColinG

That's interesting... so it's not just a method of extending the life of an already worn jet?

11. Norman

Nope. According to the Amish it extends the life of the vaporizer.
    The Amish have no electricity so they use their lanterns daily so to keep their cost down they discovered by using a mix of paraffin and Coleman fuel the vaporizers would last many times longer. Apparently the Amish mix slows down the carbon buildup inside the vaporizer.
    I've checked out a several of my paraffin lanterns to see about any carbon buildup and I haven't found any carbon buildup inside the vaporizers but I don't use my lanterns very often.

Cheers

12. MYN

Hi Colin,
    Does your Coleman 639 have a similar design as the 237?
    I mean, other than slight variations on the hood and besides the stamped metal burner. I do know they are quite similar but not sure about the exact details of a 639.
    Does it have a positive shut off valve like that on a Coleman 237?

13. ColinG

To be honest, I'm not totally sure as I don't own a 237, only a 201 (is that similar?). I know it's got a positive shut-off and a separate pricker mechanism if that helps.

14. MYN

Allright Colin. I've just bumped into an earlier post by you(Jan 2018). Your lantern has a positive shut off valve.
    Unlike the later Coleman kerosene models, which only have a partial-turn on-off control knob.
    If your lantern has the pump snorkel tube that extends to above the fuel level and the extra shut off by screwing down the pump stem, your lantern would be safe for use with pure gasoline, CF or panel wipe as well.
    With these volatile fuels, the worn jet is not particularly a problem.
    So long as there are no leaks anywhere else.

15. ColinG

I'd figured that was likely the case, thanks.