Coleman BQ. How to aligne the burner?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Juan, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Juan

I recently received this lamp from Australia and I'm in the process of getting it clean and working.
    I have a question: between the "neck" or "arm" or whatever the name is and the burner does need a gasquet? If not, it leads me to the next question: how do you get the burner aligned?

Thank you.

Juan
    colemanBQ.jpg

2. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Juan
    What an awesome acquisition, congratulations. I’m so bloody jealous :mrgreen:

I can’t quite see all of the lamp, but it looks to be a BQ (1920 - 1932) or possibly, although the fount doesn’t appear to be correct, a 102K (1936 - 1942). The valve knob is confusing me a bit. Your fount looks right for a BQ, however the very few BQs that I have seen usually have a fibre control valve wheel (knob).

From what I can gather, I think you’re asking how to position the burner to orientate the valve control knob in the right position.
    Understanding my limited knowledge, I don’t think there is a gasket or washer that would be there for that purpose. What you have appears to be correct. Basically it’s how the threads dictate is where the knob ends up. I’m guessing that the male thread is slightly tapered as in the usual Coleman fittings. Again, I’ve only limited knowledge on these lamps.
    If it annoys you a lot, you could try tightening the valve to a new position but that could stress the threads, using a thread sealer, something similar to loctite, to set when the valve is orientated to your liking or adding a washer using various washer thicknesses to get the desired orientation. Adding a washer may introduce a leak ....... just a thought.
    Cheers
    Pete

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  3. Juan

Pete, you understood my queston. In the lamps gallery I could see most of the BQ have the burner aligned except for just one example. Yes, guess I will try something to get it aligned.

Regarding the valve knob, just one example has a fiber one, pehaps it is older. The rest on the site have a bakelite valve knob and, being mine from 1929, I guess it is the right one.

Thanks again.

Juan

4. george

george United States Subscriber

Juan,
    The valve wheel is probably correct, if the date you mention is correct (1929?).

Loc-tite is probably worth a try. You can index the valve the way you want it without "forcing" the valve. Just a small amount of loc-tite. Too much and you can't get it to break free if you have to disassemble again. Loc-tite can be a friend or a holey terror, depending on how much you use!;)

5. Juan

15735173481283446075116931584190.jpg Teflon tape worked fine.

Thank you.

6. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Wow, that does look very nice. I’m still bloody jealous :mrgreen:
    Seriously, enjoy.
    Cheers
    Pete ​

7. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice lamp Juan, I’m jealous too.....

8. george

george United States Subscriber

Me three, and I don't collect lamps!;)

9. Juan

Thank you, it is a nice lamp. Some dents, but complete. The shade came from an electric lamp, it is the better I could find.

10. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's a grand old lamp now!:thumbup::thumbup:

11. Nighthawk United States

Very nice. I love the BQ