Coleman CQ 334

Discussion in 'CQ, CQF, CQG, CQF' started by Carlsson, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

With the enameled metal shade No 334, and the wire hanger mounted on the burner.
    I kind of like this setup. It can cope with some rather rough handling due to the metal shade, and the hanger makes it more flexible.
    The R55 generater is most certainly not original. I would expect a Q99 on this model.
    Also the collar below the stem is incorrect. It should be nickelplated, not painted in black as it is now.
    The tank has no markings whatsoever, so I don't know the date of the lamp. However, the control wheel looks later to me.

1291836509-cq334_1.jpg

1291836509-cq334_1.jpg 1291836517-cq334_2.jpg 1291836525-cq334_3.jpg 1291837170-cq334_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Undated and no logo on the tank means before Oct 1924. They were however marked and I would guess this one is. Often very faint with wear but they were stamped with the company name at the top of the fibre handle. Yes the control is later but they often were serviced like that because the fibre wheels would burn and become brittle. For some reason that small cone below the handle was made of steel and rusted. I have seen a few that have been painted like this because the plating has rusted off. Fine lamps that just work. ::Neil::

3. furry flivver

Hi Christer: Judging from the valve knob and other hardware, I am guessing it is one of the unstamped versions of QC's and QL's that were produced around 1930 as a cheaper alternative to the newer models probably influenced by the depression. (Of course the valves and knobs are interchangeable, but I don't think that is the case here.) Mike...

4. Carlsson

Thanks for this information, Mike.

But it means that I have two options of date here; either pre Oct.-24 as Neil suggest, or around 1930 as you say.

I should also add that Neil is correct in that it is marked on the upper portion of the handle. It says: "Coleman Quick-Lite", and under that: "The Coleman lamp co, Wichita Kansas U.S.A."

5. furry flivver

It's sort of a double sided issue. On one hand you have an early CQ but not at all scarce. On the on the other you have a somewhat scarce depression era historical item. The writing above the handle is proper for both as the later lamp was made up of many earlier parts. (the early 20's and teens CQ had no markings on the handle.) Mike...

6. Mackburner

Interesting. I have not heard of these lamps being re made in the early 1930s without being marked. I would like to see the evidence for this please. ::Neil::

7. furry flivver

Neil: They were marked on the handle, they just weren't stamped on the fount. Mike...

8. furry flivver

Christer: Could you take a good photo of the manifold/burner please. I believe the one I am thinking of, has one that is different from the mid twenties. Or just let us know if you have a dated 20's CQ to compare it to. Mike...

9. Carlsson

Here's a couple of pics. Hope you can make something out of them:

1294419557-burnercasting.jpg 1294419565-burner.jpg

10. furry flivver

Thanks Christer. It has the later manifold. (if memory serves it came out about 26' or so) I can't tell about the burners because of the mantels, no need to remove them as I think there is enough info to assume the lamp was made after 26' at least, or someone had fun at the parts bin. As I and others have seen a fair number of these in this configuration I believe yours was assembled this way from the factory. It may be coincidence but those I have seen have the black painted cone above the fount. These usually have the T44 generator. Mike...

11. Carlsson

Thanks Mike.

The cone on this one, however, was nickel originally. It looked like crap, with the plating peeling off, so I just sprayed it black. Not a good job, but it just looked too bad with the rust and pits.

12. furry flivver

Thanks Christer: I talked to a buddy I sold one of the lamps in question to many years ago. He no longer has it but said the collar on his was steel not brass like the teen's and twenties versions. Could you put a magnet to your collar and I promise to stop bugging you. Thanks mike...

13. Carlsson

Oh, it's steel Mike.
    Hence the rust I mentioned. ;)

You're not bugging me! On the contrary. I want any help I can get to be able to narrow down the date, so keep the questions coming. :lol:

Neil mentioned that some of these collars were made of steel at the start of this topic.
    Is that a way to help dating these lamps, or did they use the steel collar and brass ditto paralell?

Thanks,

14. furry flivver

Hi Christer: Sorry missed above mention of steel collar. Steel collars were later, if some brass ones were still produced at the same time, I do not know or remember. Last time I did this research was over 30yrs ago.. I no longer have dozens of CQ's at my disposal to compare. Since there is a fair number of parts on this CQ that are post early pre dated/stamped founts.I am convinced it is a 30-ish "no date". Am still sifting through reams of paper to find written proof for Neil. If any collectors out there have a CQ similar to above photos with undated early style fount, inscribed handle, plastic valve knob, manifold with raised bar castings on top and extended collar for air tube and steel collar between handle and fount please alert us. One of these items would lead me to think that the part was replaced, but all of them? They also match the others that have been spotted through the years. All with the same exact parts replaced? Mike...

15. Matty

This is a really interesting topic.

Has anyone seen any paperwork on flivver's suggestion that Coleman made unstamped CQ's in the 30's?

flivver hasn't been on for awhile but I hope to see what he has to add further to this subject.

16. Mackburner

I am not aware of any new evidence on this matter. I am always a little sceptical over opinions of this nature. People sometimes do a little speculation and after a while the notion takes hold and is then put forward as the truth. Now I am never one to say this cannot be right because we simply don't know and maybe the idea of cheap lamps being knocked up from old parts in the depression has merit. What we don't have is evidence. The lamp as presented certainly aappears to be one such with a 1924 type tank and handle with a later burner unit and valve. However we have to remember that these lamps were serviced, often by the factory and maybe an old lamp was fitted with new parts in the early 1930s.

In this case I am inclined to say this is a 1924 pattern lamp which has been serviced in the 1930s. Actually there is little difference because serviced in 1930 or made in 1930 it would still look the same and it is still a great example of a Coleman Quick-Lite. ::Neil::

17. Matty

It's interesting that you mention that and it is very true.

I recently came across and American ad for Coleman. It was a Coleman ad not a retailer of Coleman.

I did get the impression that Coleman 'mechanics' would visit Coleman retailers stores and set up a service centre, just for the day. I suspect the mechanics would then move onto another store in another town.

The ad told those that owned a Coleman lamp could bring it to this particular store and get their lamp serviced for free.

The gas and mantles used by the Coleman mechanics would be provided free of charge.

I suspect the boon to the retailer would be things like generators and other accessories.The customer would have to buy those of course hence making sales for the store owner. Whilst he had the customers in his store I guess he had a chance to sell mantles, shades for lamps missing them etc.

I also suspect he'd be trying to get his customers to upgrade to the latest lamps or sell a 2nd lamp.

18. Mackburner

Those guys would also take your old torch lit lamp of any maker and convert it with a Coleman Quick-Lite burner unit. They just chopped short the original generator tube and threaded it to take Q type valve. This was a service Coleman also advertised in the 1920s. There were a lot of lamps out there that were not original by the 1930s. ::Neil::

19. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

In my opinion, this 1932 retailer's advert fits into this conversation, as it shows the CQ and it's siblings being offered as a cheaper range of lamps.

The CQ., which is in my collection is fitted with all of the original CQ parts and it has a steel cone and the late Mr Herb Ebendorf reckoned that Coleman used steel during and for a while after the end of the first world war, but he did not have any paperwork to prove it, but it does make sense.

1465496733-1932_COLEMAN_ADVERT_12_opt_opt.jpg

1465496753-1932_COLEMAN_ADVERT_12__2__opt_opt.jpg

This link shows my CQ.

http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/7058