Coleman Easy-Lite 222A not working

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by RMTChris, Jul 9, 2021.

1. RMTChris Canada

Hi All, Just got this lantern from someone who has kept this lantern in her basement for the 20 years. Sadly there was fuel in it. So not surprisingly it doesn't work. I emptied the old gas and replaced with fresh coleman fuel. When I pump it up, I can't get any pressure. I'm doing at least 50 pumps. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
    Chris

2. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Hello Chris and welcome. It sounds like either the pump is not working or the rubber seal in the filler cap is not working or possibly a combination of the two. Take out the pump and inspect the pump cup, it's some sort of synthetic material but it could be split or torn and will need replacing. If the filler cap seal has gone hard, it won't seal properly and air will escape as fast as you can pump it in.
    If you have difficulty locating spare parts locally, oldcolemanparts.com could have what you need.

3. Reppie

Reppie United States Subscriber

One thing to note regarding those 222a other than the pump problem you got, careful of the fluro something o-rings as they will leak over time given how long it was stored or used before storage.

4. Pancholoco1911 United States

Get a new leather washer from fettlebox and a o-ring set from OCP.

5. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

These lanterns always worry me. I have three of them and they are neat looking things that look great and work well but I don't like the valve gland O ring seals. Unlike most lamps we play with the gland seal can't be tightened if it leaks. They rely on a ratchet type clip to retain the O ring so the integrity of that O ring is vital. I would strongly suggest replacing the O ring and a pressure test if the lamp has been stored for any length of time. ::Neil::

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

7. RMTChris Canada

This is great!! Thank you for the responses. I guess I will start with the easiest and check the leather.