Coleman HQ Lamp (1922-24)

Discussion in 'HQ' started by Sedgman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Sedgman

Coleman HQ.jpg

This Coleman 1922-24 HQ lamp is unstamped on the fount. The generator should be Q99 but has clearly been replaced by an R55 and that’s OK with me. The hanging bolt was missing and I have fabricated one with a link from a galvanised chain but the original allows for a better correction of the hanging angle so I may have to fabricate another closer to the original as I suspect I may be waiting to find one. The 3/8” thread fitting welded to the ‘base’ (is it really the base if it’s at the top ;)) of the fount to take this handle part appears to be 26 tpi which makes it hard to get right and I suspect a BSB thread but am not certain. I guess threads are just something to keep us all on our toes when fettling lamps.

The lamp holder retaining bolt is the usual 3/16” BSF (32 tpi) fitting with a threaded recess.

The valve knob is broken and is the ‘bakelite’ like plastic type and from other comments on HQ’s in the gallery it may indicate a Canadian model. On the other hand the burner appears to be the USA model judging by the USA and British Patent information and the US model supposedly goes with a fibre knob. Perhaps there is more to be discovered about these models.

The lamp fires up OK but I did not burn mantles as it will go into storage.

I guess all collectors hope for that once-in-a-lifetime ‘barn find’ and I think this was probably mine. I was keeping calm when the seller told me they thought it ran on propane gas somehow.

Others have commented that it’s challenging pumping it up and I used a standard brass hand pump from an old petrol iron to pressurise the fount and checked for leaks and then used a blowtorch to warm up the jet and switched her on and away she went.

Whilst it has a few signs of a hard life I am happy it will last a bit longer now.

Burner patent
    Coleman HQ Burner Patent.jpg

The Burner Assembly
    Coleman HQ Burner Assembly.jpg

Cleaning the Lamp Holder

Coleman HQ Lamp Support Cleaning.jpg

Now cleaned and painted

Coleman HQ Lamp Support Painted.jpg

The Fount top

Coleman HQ Fount Top.jpg

Coleman knob

Coleman HQ Knob.jpg

Test burning with no mantles

Coleman HQ Alight.jpg

Overview without shade

20190420_144724.jpg

Iain

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Iain

That’s very nice! Great to see it going.

I’ve got one in the fettling queue that is also missing its hanging bolt. Mine obviously fell when the bolt gave way. As a consequence the fancy fuel line needs some careful reshaping.

Where did you find yours?

Cheers

Tony

@Sedgman

3. Sedgman

Tony

In the Wimmera. Mostly I find the Horsham, Hamilton and Dimboola Swap meets quite good.

I have used a thread gauge and reckon it’s BSB 3/8’ 26tpi but that’s a real hassle and a UNF 3/8” bolt with 24 tpi was what I used cut down and welded to an inch and half galvanised single chain link. it locks in but I am still seeking confirmation and trying to find an engineer that can cut this thread to try. Perhaps someone else with the bolt can tell me the exact tpi count.

I had to do some straightening too and it worried me as I know full well over doing it will bring grief. I have settled for 90% straight without pushing it. I had a mate who used to do excellent bends by heating and filling tubes with sand. He has passed on and I settled for cold bending by hand levering against solid objects. Luckily I did not have any extreme corrections and felt it was not overly risking the tube integrity. I won’t be hanging it up though with a full fuel load until I am certain of the thread and in any case I don’t feel comfortable with the depth of thread available as it’s only about 5 turns at most and the bolt then hits the fount.

Regards

Iain

@Tony Press

4. Tony Press

Iain

I have started another thread about my lamp so that I don’t ‘bomb’ your excellent thread.

Here it is:

Coleman HQ questions

Cheers

Tony

@Sedgman

5. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Gosh, I really like the look of that lamp Ian and don’t blame you for wanting to take care of it. Weird lot of fuel pipes, looks (as I often say to John when we’re on a ramble) “That wis a lang road for a short cut”.

6. Tony Press

Jean

This is a very special (gasoline) lamp.

If you ever see one, stick it in your shopping bag.

Cheers

Tony

@Jean J

7. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Will do Tony.

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Sedgman
    It looks good and has cleaned up nicely Iain. :thumbup:

Iain and Tony, I have a 3/8' BSB Die. Send me the details and I can probably knock something up.

@Tony Press

9. Tony Press

10. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Subscriber

12. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Coleman HQ was sold between 1922 and 1927. The Burner casting was changed to that later type in 1924 so the lamps came with both older and newer type and it could therefore be correct. ::Neil::

13. Sedgman

@ROBBO55 @Mackburner @JEFF JOHNSON @Hanzo @Tony Press @Jean J

Thanks all for your advice, comments and information. Much appreciated.

I also note the different air release screws on the models in the gallery and elsewhere, some are crosshatched and some are just vertical ridges. Maybe this also relates to where they were made.

Iain