Coleman Quick-Lite CQ Table Lamp

Discussion in 'CQ, CQF, CQG, CQF' started by Norman, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi there fellow lamp lovers,

This is my first table lamp and I've had it for quite a while now. The gent I got it from stated it was made in 1926 but since this doesn't have the standard markings I'm use to it could be 1956 so to be truthful I really don't know.
    DSC07781.JPG DSC07782.JPG DSC07783.JPG

I finally got around to working on this old beauty. I started to dismantle everything but the upper section with burner tubes fell apart in my hands. Well this was a bit discouraging but I pressed on with cleaning out the fuel tank/fount and made sure the pickup tube was clear of debris. The original vaporizer was in very good shape, but I do have a replacement if needed.
    I then looked for the replacement parts I needed and found what I needed from Mike at old Coleman parts. The filler cap was missing and I needed an external pump and again these were found on on old Coleman parts.
    DSC07780.JPG DSC07789.JPG

I do apologize because I'm not very good at taking pictures of the lamp before I started working on it.

The fuel tank/found was originally plated in nickle but over the years I'm sure it started to flake off so someone, not me, removed the rest of the nickle. What is seen now is a brass fuel tank/fount.
    DSC07801.JPG DSC07802.JPG

After I got the upper assembly cleaned from debris and other junk I reassembled the lamp.

I fired the lamp up and it had a bit of a hallow outside of the mantles but as it burner for a while the hallow totally disappeared.
    DSC07776.JPG DSC07777.JPG DSC07778.JPG DSC07779.JPG DSC07794.JPG DSC07795.JPG

I found a reproduction shade for this lamp and according to Mike is was made in 1947 and again I don't know for sure but it does the job quite well.
    DSC07793.JPG DSC07796.JPG DSC07797.JPG DSC07798.JPG DSC07799.JPG DSC07800.JPG

As can be seen I added a spirit cup so there are no flare ups so my family doesn't freak out.

I was going to give this to my wife but then she hates camping stove and any type of liquid lantern or lamp. Yep, most likely she would have taken it outside and tossed this lovely lamp into the trash or the bin as some would say.
    Needless to say I will be keeping this lamp much to my wife's dislike. Of well sh*t happens.

Cheers,

Norman

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2019
  2. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Norman

You have done an excellent job with that grand old lady.

With regards to before and after photographs I am guilty the same as you. In my eagerness to check out the lamp I say to myself "I'll just have a quick look to familiarise myself before I photograph it" and a couple of hours later it's in pieces and being worked on. I have very little self discipline, I'm afraid!

Regards Jeremy

3. Norman

@X246A

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your very kind compliment.

I'm pleased to know I'm not the only one. I start and finish a fettle without realizing the passing of time. Sometimes I'm down in the garage most of the day doing projects.

I have a Ditmar 505 which needed a lot of work done on it but since I didn't have all the parts I needed I set it to the side. My wife did some cleaning and now the inner hood or burner assembly is missing. Personally I think she tossed it into the rubbish bin. Now I need to either find a parts Ditmar or find out if a Petromax inner hood or burner assembly will made for a good substitute.
    Yep, I'm thinking this is why I forget to take all of the before pictures because my wife has done this several times but most of the little parts have been Coleman which are still readily available and easy to replace. Most likely I will continue doing what I do so I don't have to replace as many parts.

Cheers,

Norman

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Those old lamps were built to last!:thumbup:

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Good job there, Norman. It’s a fine table lamp.

As to the date of manufacture, look at this link. Coleman changed the ways it dated its lamps and lanterns over the years. Before 1947 the numbers are reversed (year month). The “5 9” on your lamp is likely to be the 9th month of 19X5. The CQ was made until 1931, therefore September 1925 by my reckoning.

How to Date your Coleman&#174: Lantern or Stove: Old Town Coleman

Cheers

Tony

@Norman

6. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Norman

Nice work restoring this beautiful lamp :clap:. I have one and use it regularly. Luckily it's one of the lamps my wife likes. :lol:

7. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

Yes the Coleman CQ table lamps are true beauties.
    But also the Tilley Queen with opal shade is great.

8. Norman

@Tony Press

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the lesson on dating this table lamp.

@ROBBO55

Hi Martin,

I had this lamp up and going in the house when my wife got home. She stood there staring for several minutes. She didn't make any comments so I'm not sure if that is good or bad but she hasn't wanted the lamp removed from inside the house yet so who knows.

Cheers,

Norman