1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman quicklite possible fettle.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Nick Powell, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Nick Powell

I have been doing a bit of reading on this lamp I found for a few quid, no glass or mantles but apart from that and a nice green hue, it looks complete.
    The tank is brass rather than a steel one and the hood is marked Coleman Toronto Canada. Can you give me any ideas as to an accurate date? Or how to do so?

I intend to fettle it up and presume the place for Mica is still Fred Kuntz?

Any pointers would be useful. Things are soaking in Plus gas at the moment prior to attempting to get it apart.

How does the tube to the mantles come off, the generator has a nut?

Thanks Nick

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

3. Nick Powell

image.jpg image.jpg

Here you go @Tony Press I have a feeling it's the latter of the two?

4. MG

MG Subscriber

Sorry to jump in but any idea how much a Fred Kuntz mica cage would be?

The date on mine was under the Coleman motif below the filler cap, i had to clean it and then use a magnifying glass.

019.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  5. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

@Nick Powell

They come apart the same way.

Take the vapouriser (generator) off first (unscrew the square nut at the bottom; lift the generator up then out).

Then get your spanner to the figure 8 nut on the burner and cage (I said "generator" in my post above when I meant burner).

Cheers

Tony

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

@MG

I'm reluctant to quote a price, because that's Fred's business, but I thought the price was very reasonable given the craftwork involved.

I will send you a PM with some info. Postage will be an issue.

Cheers

Tony

7. MG

MG Subscriber

Thanks Tony,

That's fair enough, i didn't think of it that way.

8. Nick Powell

I notice the gbnerator on mine is straight i.e. No loop is this original, a later replacement? Does it work as well as one with the loop?
    Nick

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

@Nick Powell

The generator you have is one that has an internal cleaning needle; whereas the generator with the loop has no cleaning needle. They both work fine as long as they aren't clogged with old dirty fuel.

My Canadian LQ 327 came with a generator like yours. It wasn't working too efficiently so I have it soaking in acetone. I swapped it.

Cheers

Tony

10. Nick Powell

It's in bits now! Looking more carefully I am pretty sure it's a nickel plated version so maybe not as old as I thought.
    Looking inside the generator it's all nice shiny brass so it may be ok.
    Graphite seal in the control wheel is knackered, and airtube is all carboned up outside so I would assume the inside is the same so a citric acid bath is in order.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  11. Nick Powell

Should the ball bearing in the filler/ check valve be sprung loaded?

12. Carlsson

Carlsson Admin/Founder Member

No, it's loose.
    If you shake the filler lid, it should rattle.
    It's seated by the air pressure inside the tank once you start to pump, and doesn't normally make a perfect seal.
    (It's just for the pump action. The real sealing is of course done by seating the knurled pump seat after pumping.)

13. Lundo007

Lundo007 Subscriber

No.most people soak it in acetone to make sure it's free.it is pressure that seals it as far as I know.simple but effective..i usually spray some wd40 in as well.with filler cap off you should hear ball move around when shaken. @Tony Press for confirmation.

14. Lundo007

Lundo007 Subscriber

15. Carlsson

16. Nick Powell

Brilliant thank you gents @Lundo007 @Carlsson my ball is rattling nicely!
    Now trying to get the crud out of the tank!

17. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

@Nick Powell

When you an the outside of the tank look for a date stamp near the Coleman crest.

Cheers

Tony

18. Hanzo

Tony,

Fred's business is actually a business. No secret to his pricing. He has a catalogue of his goods he distributed at past Coleman gatherings.

19. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

@Hanzo

That's good to know!

Cheers

Tony

20. Carlsson

This PDF is the last file I got from him.
    It has some years on it, so I do assume the prices rightfully are a bit higher nowadays.
    But it gives a good idea of his production. I have a couple of mica globes from him, and they are excellent.

Attached Files:

21. MG

MG Subscriber

Interesting, maybe if i keep mine i might look into getting one,

All this talk of Colemans has encouraged me to strip mine down and get the frame in some citric acid to clean off the rust,

Does a citric acid bath have any detrimental effects on mica as i wouldn't mind cleaning the rust off the globe?

22. Nick Powell

@MG citric acid is only any good on brass you might be better off with electrolysis? There is loads on this in the stove forums.
    As for mica I do not know I what effect it might have on this.
    Nick

23. MG

MG Subscriber

@Nick Powell That's strange as it took all the rust off my steel Tilley Pork Pie frame and handle very nicely, it was quite badly rusted too, took a few hours though :thumbup:

24. MG

MG Subscriber

Well it didn't do as well as it did on the Pork Pie frame but it took some of the rust off,

Still need to find a liquid rust converter containing phosphoric acid over here though.

25. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Founder Member

Any decent Motor Factor will have a selection to choose from. If all else fails, go to Halfrauds...

26. Nick Powell

I will give citric acid on steel then.
    Nick

27. MG

MG Subscriber

@Nick Powell it didn't do as good a job on the Coleman frame as it did on the Pork Pie, possibly because the Coleman is a bit further gone than the Tilley but a fair bit came off though, i let it soak all night, i will still give it a coat of rust converter when i get some to finish it off.

28. Chris of the North

Chris of the North Subscriber

The loop generator I think for the Kerosene model and the straight one for the gas (petrol) version. The straight one can be cleaned and is easy to repair, the loop is a devil when it get clogged.

If you have compressed air and a propane plumbers flame then you and do the following:
    Remove the gas tip, put the generator in a metal vice and heat the generator red hot, use the compressed air to clean out the inside of the generator.

Note when doing this a HUGE FLAME will exit the generator so make sure you are far from anything flammable. This burns off all carbon inside the generator and it might salvage this loop generators, if not you'll need to source a new one (if the solvent doesn't work).

29. Mackburner

Mackburner Founder Member Subscriber

No the coil is the original for this lantern. The R55 you have was introduced in about 1929 for the 220/228 models and as a replacement for the Q99 coil in Quick-Lites. Both are for gasoline there is no kero generator for them. There is a kero version of the QL327 but it is the burner not the generator that is modified. These lanterns were, with one exception, always nickel plated. The exception is the range was sold in France finished in polished and lacquered brass and gold paint but that is a regional thing not a date indicator. They are rare things and were never sold in the UK, only France and possibly Belgium. ::Neil::

30. Carlsson

And I would also add that the Q99 (loop generator) doesn't really come clean with the heat and compressed air method.
    That usually works well for removing coke when you have an open generator/vapouriser.
    But the Q99 is stuffed with an asbestos string, and it doesn't really allow you to blow compressed air through it.

But I have read somewhere a tutorial how to clean these with chemicals, which possibly could help a little.
    I think it was carburettor cleaner, or something like that.
    It is probably just to search the Coleman Collector's Forum.