Coleman Wall Bracket

Discussion in 'Wall brackets. PB, BQ, BQF. 102K' started by Andreas Peuker, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Andreas Peuker

Andreas Peuker Germany Subscriber

Hi,

This is a 1938 silver wall lamp made ​​in Canada. Stamped with 4 38th
    I do not know the model. The lamp is in very good condition.
    Generator and Shade are replicated.

Andreas

1311186394-DSC_0023.jpg 1311186430-DSC_0017.jpg 1311186455-DSC_0015.jpg 1311186484-DSC_0010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Very nice shade! Are these easy to find? When time permits, there is a Coleman wall lantern waiting to be fettled in mia casa and it came without shade (not uncommon I fear :roll: ). I'd like to use mine this winter in the lean-to to give both light & warmth :D/

Best regards,

Wim

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

That is a very good find. It is model 102K and that is the only one I have seen outside a catalogue. They were illustrated with a velum or parchment type shade and as far as I know were not offered with an opal glass. Nice thing though. ::Neil::

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Excellent find and a rare lamp, Jeff.

5. Andreas Peuker

Hello,

Thanks for the information.
    Neil, have you a catalog image of the lamp?

Shade comes from the United States.

Thank you and good day wishes Andreas

6. Mackburner

Of course. ::Neil::

1311295545-Col_102K-103K-1941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  7. Andreas Peuker

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the picture! :lol: :-({|= :lol:

8. Mackburner

You are welcome. However I now realise there is a problem here and I don't believe your lamp is correct. Mick and I have discussed it and we have searched the paper piles and concluded that we don't think the lamp came out of the factory like this. If you look at the catalogue image you will see that 102K has the plain top tank as used on the Quick-Lite table lamps. In fact in all the catalogues from 1938 to 1946 102K is illustrated with a plain topped tank and never with the fluted top type you see on the chandelier and the one fitted to your wall lamp. In fact this makes sense as Coleman Canada from around 1938 to the end of WW2 used old Quick-Lite lamps and lanterns and adpated them to use kero. So 102K is just a Model B or BQ but with a kero burner. They did not use the big ball for the chandelier so used the standard Lamp tank at the time which was the fluted top type.

I never say never because we all know strange things happened and stuff came out of factories that never show in catalogues and we know that some Canadian product was exported that is not catalogued. What I do say is your lamp was never catalogued as such and whilst it may be correct right now I have to go with the printed evidence that tells me your lamp was never made like that but is an aftermarket fettle. ::Neil::

9. Andreas Peuker

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your information.
    I think the lamp is original. The feet are on the tank and the suspension may not be retrofitted.
    Everything looks original and professionally.

A good day wishes Andreas

10. Mackburner

Andreas. You may be right. As I said sometimes the exported lamps were not the same as in the Canadian Catalogues and we know of at least three models that are not catalogued but were exported. All I can say is it is not shown like that in Canadian catalogues but that does not have to make it wrong. You have the lamp to hold and that always tells more than an image so if you feel it is right then I will accept what you say. ::Neil::

11. Flygt

The fluted fount is correct as a wall lamp as shown as I've seen several in local Canadian collections. The lamp would have been sold with a 355 glass protector shade and a parchment covering shade as in the catalogue image, rather than just a glass shade. By 1938 the previous Q smooth type fount was not in production.

12. Andreas Peuker

Hi Flygt,

thank you for your information.
    I have never doubted the authenticity of this beauty. The lamp is very, very authentically.

Best wishes Andreas

13. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Don't know much about it's provenance :doh: , but i'd sure like that super lamp hanging on my wall :mrgreen: :D/ :D/ 8) :thumbup:

A very nice job & i do like a glass shade on a wall lamp 8) :thumbup: even if it isn't the way it was supposed to be :D :thumbup:

Stu :mrgreen: :D :thumbup:

14. Flygt

1378762963-102k_opt.jpg

I wasn't sure if I had a photo but here's a 102K that I saw in a local collection recently, the shade is a current reproduction and I don't know the date of this lamp. BQ lamps as in the top of the photo are fairly common here, but I've only seen a couple of the 102K with fluted fount.

15. Flygt

1378783421-102kkopt.jpg

Shinzo Konos site also shows a 102K from Bernie Rousseaus collection. Bernie is one of the founding members of ICCC (International Coleman Collectors Club) http://www.geocities.jp/gkpllantern/11_Table_lamp_1.html

16. Mackburner

I agree there are too many around for it not to be right. I suspect this is just another case where a catalogue image is an old illustration and the lamp being sold had a different later tank. Makes sense I suppose because the chandelier has the fluted top tank and I doubt Coleman Canada reserved that for just the one model. Probably made the change when they ran out of the older tanks but never changed the catalogue image to suit. ::Neil::