Collins Bros " Radiant Star "

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Colin M, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Colin M

2 " Radiant Stars "

Have posted them both as a comparison.

Collins Bros took over from Gloria Australia in the mid 30's. Mainly servicing Hollow wire, [ Gloria & Knight ]

Obviously branched out as they appear to have taken over the old Gloria building in Sydney.

1292319062-Collins_Bros_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

These lanterns sat in the Unknown list for years until one Australian collector turned one up with most of the logo decal intact. I reworked the image to reconstruct the decal and whilst this is probably slightly out of shape it is near enough and at least gives the detailed information. ::Neil::

1292336530-Radiant_Star_Logo_reconstruction.jpg

3. Jones the lamp

Jones the lamp Subscriber

Here is the original lantern that the reconstructed decal image is from. Plus the only information I can find on "Trove", an Australian online archive. Collins brothers is not listed as a company in the NSW government for the period nor does a search of companies listed at that from the Insurance Underwriters archive!!!. It would appear that "Gloria House" was originally "Gloria Chambers" I think Albert Krusp Zimmerman may have taken advantage of the existing name when he opened for business as the Gloria Light Company. The following is from Trove at The National Library of Australia.

"Albert Krusp Zimmerman, of Lempriere Avenue, East St. Kilda, importer, carrying on business at Post Office-place, and Spencer street, Melbourne, Clarence-street and Martin place, Sydney, and McHenry-street, Adelaide, under the style of the Gloria Light Co. of Australia, has assigned his estate for the benefit of creditors. Mr. John Cook, of Melbourne, has been appointed trustee. The estimated liabilities, after deducting £9455, the amount of securities held by creditors, are £15,387. The estimated amount of property, after deducting the amount of securities held by creditors, is £19,868"
    The only references I can find to Collins Brothers in a picture from trove that cites Collins Brothers in Clarence Street. This can be found at;
    http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/14518150 as part of the Hall Collection
    The advertisement, also from Trove is dated 12/11/1935.
    I'm still on the case but I think I have exhausted online resources. I have a Gloria, Goulburn special and a Kayen table lamp that I will post sooner or later.

4. Mackburner

Albert Zimmermann died in 1936 aged 61 in St Kilda Victoria. He was survived by his wife Valerie Gordon Zimmermann nee Louran who died aged 88 in 1972. In the 1936 electoral register Albert and his wife are registed at 917 Punt Road and at the same address there is a George Loughnan Zimmermann who I assume was a son. George is a mechanic and possibly it was George who continued his father's business and may have been responsible for the creation of the Radiant Star after WW2.

These old records often have typos and I suspect Loran and Loughnan is actually Loughlan or Lachlan. Valerie has a Scotish background because her mother's Maiden name was McCrae. This is almost certainly also a typo because it should be McRae or MacRae. This is my surname and it was never spelt with a double C.

::Neil::

5. Graham P

Graham P Australia Subscriber

Does this mean that you have a family connection to Collins & Gloria Lamps even if 2nd or 3rd cousins. (Gloria were at Post Office Pl, Elizabeth + Spencer St`s)
    Graham. (Hee Hee ?)

6. Mackburner

No connection I am aware of. I do family research and I have my paternal family tree back to around 1600 pretty well complete and there is no Valerie McRae or her parents George and Agnes Louran in there. ::Neil::

7. Matty

Gloria Chambers was at 155A Clarence st Sydney. Later, in 1921, Gloria Light Co moved to 170 Clarence St Sydney and that building, I suspect was much larger than the previous one, was named Gloria House.

In 1916, there was also a Gloria Chambers used as an address in Taree (Country, NSW)

By late 1917, the sales manager of that Taree agency N. A. TADICH. had left Gloria Light Co.

I believe this to be the same Tadich that owned Wizard Lighting Systems in Australia from around 1914.

8. JRdaSconnie

Hello, I am commenting on this post on Neil's suggestion.

I just acquired the one Radiant Star known to be outside of its native homeland. I believe it has a fabricated replacement bail handle that looks more like that found on a Coleman 242 style lantern. I would like to try bending one in the unique shape of the original. Could one of the other owners email me a full scale tracing of the bail so that I can have a reference for the angles? Any help is appreciated. I am honored to be the holder of this uncommon lantern.

9. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

JR, let me know if you need more than this.

1458851713-CAM02085_opt.jpg

10. JRdaSconnie

Thank you very much!

Next, does anyone know what the original ball/top/ventilator nut looked like?

11. Anthony

Can't help you with that one JR, mine is missing too. :)

I believe the original glass is curved as in the picture at the top of this post. Not 100% sure though.

12. Lamp Doctor Australia

Here is what my top knob looks like
    Hope this helps
    1458882911-Collins_lantern_003.JPG

1458882960-Collins_lantern_004.JPG

1458883032-Collins_lantern_005.JPG

13. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

JR's lantern moved here.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  14. Anthony

I prefer not to tag onto old threads but this seems to be the best place to put this.

From Pacific Islands Monthly January 1945

Pacific Islands Monthly Jan 1945.jpg

15. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Well found! :thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

16. Mackburner

Nice find and a new one to me. One to go in the list. ::Neil::

17. Matty

Ditto

March 1945,

CollinsBrothers1945.jpg

18. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks for sharing the adverts Anthony and Matty and perhaps you could also list them in the forum which is shown via the link below.

Other