1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columbus / Radius 141 (Spain)

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by nep036, Apr 14, 2018.

1. nep036 Italy

Hello everybody,

I just purchased this Columbus 141 from Spain. The interesting thing is that this lamp uses the Radius 141 conversion kit completed by a collar that seems built just for it, so maybe a partnership between Columbus and Radius. This lamp looks original and coming directly from the Columbus factory (in fact it is model 141 and I don't think it's casual) if there was one, but I guess so because in Spain is easy to find many Columbus donut lamps in the Petromax style.

I am still waiting to receive the lamp, so these are some pictures from the listing. I will document it better when I get it.

Nicola

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A fine restoration project!:thumbup:

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Interesting and a conundrum. This lantern has a Spanish label but uses the same logo that was registered in Italy by Beniamnio Vautier in 1940. Vautier also used brand Astarte which was registered also in 1940. Some Columbus lamps have turned up in Italy marked as “Columbus Fabricato in Italia” but there are Spanish lamps marked as AKABA which is a Klaebisch brand and this one by S. Bonino at the address I have for Klaebisch. So far the evidence suggests Columbus were made in Italy and retailed in Spain but were they? Are they Spanish and only retailed in Italy? ::Neil::

4. nep036 Italy

I'd like to know by Radius experts if they could recognise the fount as well as Radius product or not... I suppose it is a 4 hands made lamp, but maybe it's been completely produced by Radius?

Nicola

5. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Denmark Founder Member

The filler cap and pump knob are not anything I have seen from Radius, so my guess is that the tank is not from them. From the collar up is definitely Radius. The question is if it was a collaboration or some resourceful manufacturing.

6. nep036 Italy

Hi Nils, sure collar looks like one from a Radius 119, but the top flat border for the conjunction with the 141 is something I have never seen.

So if Radius produced the collars for this lamp this would have been a collaboration in my opinion.

Nicola