Converting a Coleman 228E to Kerosene...

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Centurion13, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Centurion13

Centurion13 United States Subscriber

I would like to set my Coleman 228E up for kerosene operation and that means, at the very least, installing a preheater cup. There are several available at oldcolemanparts. Which one would work for my model? I am partial to the one intended for the 249 model, but am not sure it will fit. The generator appears to be a type also used on the 220. Will I need to change that?

2. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

If you want to use kero in the 228,
    You should replace the paper sleeve in the generator with a stranded copper wire coil. Such is better suited for evaporation of kero .
    Should have opposite wind direction than the inner steel wire coil. To have good combined effekt with both coils.

3. Reppie

Reppie United States Subscriber

249's pre heater cup is way too big, use the 201 for exact fit or the universal for cheap. And what willi said, there was also something like mixing a 201 gen with the 220 gen (changing the innards/coils and their gas tips).

4. Centurion13

Thank you both for the helpful advice! I will take that for action - need to disassemble the generator and have a look, but this is what I suspected. I will be back with whatever results I get.

5. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

@Norman has converted many Coleman lanterns to Kero. Also of interest will be the make your own cup story from @ColinG here: Coleman 128c table lamp
    Otherwise I would have thought one from a 214 would do the trick.

6. Centurion13

Good, good. I think I have settled on the new generator and spring, as well as the preheater style. Don't have the tools to make my own cup. While I am waiting for the new stuff to roll in, I am taking a crack at the tarnish on the brasswork. Can anyone tell me why it resists steel wool? Seems awful tough!

7. Pancholoco1911 United States

The new “201” Preheater cups for sale all over the web are on the loose side, they don’t fit snug the generator like the old ones did (aka 247, 234 cups)

like others said, change the innards from a 201 generator to your 220E5891 <—-(generator part number) and you are done. I have never converted one myself but I have read a lot about it.

8. george United States

Just one question; why set it up for kerosene at all? In my opinion, gasoline in one of these Coleman lanterns is safer than a Tilley burning kerosene, etc. lot of safety features go into one of the Coleman lanterns. I guess I missed the point, as usual…:-k

9. Centurion13

I want to set it up for kerosene because: Kerosene has a much lower flashpoint and is safer to handle and store. And kerosene is a bit cheaper than coleman camp fuel. Coleman fuel currently sells for about $17 a gallon. Kerosene is 'only' $10 a gallon.

Yes, gasoline is the cheapest of all. But it requires a special generator so as not to become fouled with the additives found in unleaded gas these days. And it still has a high flashpoint.

10. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

Another aspect is the smell of the exhaust gases.
    Gasoline or CF smell is more repelling than kero fumes.

Kero lanterns i use as well indoors.
    CF lanterns only if the run really perfect. I don't like the faint smell of unburnt gasoline.
    Kero smell is much less disturbing.

11. Rustytank United States

I have a 220e that I just put a preheater cup on and changed the cardboard tube in the generator to some copper stranded wire and it runs fine on kero. You can use the pricker assembly to fine tune the fuel at the tip if you need to. I'm at about 1200 ft above sea level. If you're higher up your mileage may vary.

12. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

What @bp4willi said; the 220 gen tube, a brass or copper spiral and in addition the needle and gas tip from a 200A. The original 220 gas tip will cause a very rich mixture. Part of the advantage of kero is the longer run-time per fount of fuel which you will forego by using the 220 gas tip. Sometimes it is necessary to mod the f/a tube so that it acts as a straight pickup tube: Take out the needle and block off the air holes. This is because kero has a higher viscosity than CF and sometimes but not always you get some air coming up into the gennie with the fuel. YMMV on that score.