Draught paraffin....

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Seamanjive, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Seamanjive

Seamanjive Subscriber

Today I found one of those old-fashioned hardware stores that sell anything from a radiator bleed key to a paint kettle. It's near Sidcup in Kent. I asked after any old Tilley spares. The elderly prop. took me to the back of the store where he had a few Aladdin wicks. No pressure lamp stuff.
    I asked after paraffin, did he sell it "draught". No, but he had a beautiful tank out the back, he used to sell a lot of paraffin locally but now it was just the occasional drop for greenhouse heaters. He couldn't justify all the paperwork to resurrect the tank...and demand was so slow.
    So, I bought 4 litres in a plastic container for £9.95, I felt a bit sorry for him.
    There was a sleepy looking petrol station across the way. I went in and asked if they sold paraffin.Yes, it's over there, £6.95 for 4 litres in a plastic container. The same stuff, same container, same supplier - and three quid cheaper....
    You pays your money...

2. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

£6.95 is pretty darn good. Most petrol stations charge around a tenner. I'd clean 'em out if I were you!

3. Mr cod

I found a petrol station on the north side of Norwich that sells paraffin for less than £1.00 a litre from a petrol pump, but you do have to supply your own container to take it away.

4. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Was the tank for sale?

5. Seamanjive

Seamanjive Subscriber

He wasn't planning on using it...

6. paparazi

Do a google search in your area for 'heating oil suppliers' these are commercial bulk suppliers that will often sell to the public if you turn up to their depot with a suitable container. Ours 'Northern Oils' Nottingham, has a minimum sale of 20 litres but that's fine given a price of 70p a litre. I've been using their Texaco Kerosene for over 2 years, burns nice and bright, no difference to pre-pack, slightly stronger odour when decanting but exactly the same when burning.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  7. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

In Belgium they sell paraffin oil /kerosene from the pump/drought for 0.85€ /L

Went there a month ago with jerry cans and bought 30L at once.

8. malcolm race

malcolm race United Kingdom Subscriber

I buy mine from an old garage in Bradford for about 70p a litre

9. DP2

DP2 Subscriber

Caldo oils in St Helens also sell paraffin from the pump..