Early CQ (no date found)

Discussion in 'CQ, CQF, CQG, CQF' started by Wim, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi all, while desperatelly trying to get my QL lantern working (with help from Jeff I finally succeeded, thanks again Jeff!) I decided to try my CQ. It took about 15 minutes (checking things where air-tight and putting on a pair of mantles) of fettling + fuelling her up. The glass shade was bought at Hytta (Germany), I think these were meant for Aladdin wickies but it fits nice. While I type this, it is happily humming away behind my back O:) .
    From earlier posts re this very lamp, I learned the colour of the fount is probably called "Flemish Brass" if I recall correctly.

Best regards,

Wim

1348402793-P8190006_opt.jpg 1348402815-P8190007_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. mr optimus

Hi Wim very nice indeed even though the glass shade, may not be original to the lamp realy suits it.
    On another note what a real beautifull iron stove you have there

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Brian, yes the combination of this lamp & shade pleases me very much! I bought the lamp last year and looked out for a shade at fleamarkets and second hands stores but no result. I then finally decided to "go for it", and ordered the shade in Germany. Wished I had done that sooner! :roll: :lol:
    The stove is a French GODIN, burns very well on both coal and wood. It keeps the whole house warm and uses about 1500kilo's of the black gold per winter when no wood available. I like to watch the flames through the glass at the low 'front door' (sorry, not visible in the photo), and the heat it throws of is amazing :clap: .

All the best,

Wim

4. Michel

Michel Subscriber

Hi Wim
    yes, a very beautifull lamp,
    I prefer those lampshades rather than the Coleman ones
    they look too much sophisticated for me
    I love the GODIN french stove also ;-))

5. paul m

paul m Subscriber

Shades like the plain white one you have there are very easy to come by in the U.K.,if i picked up every one i'd seen i would have a house full...

6. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I must be looking in the wrong places, then - I can't recall seeing one... :cry:

7. paul m

paul m Subscriber

It's who you know and where to look...could have picked up 2 yesterday at the local sale...

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

David, maybe it is time for you to get glasses? (and no, I don't mean the ones for drinking... :roll: [-X )

Best regards,

Wim (who HATES to admid he needs them himself :oops: 8) )

9. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Like the lamp very much Wim but love that stove! Chilly evenings now in N.E. Scotland and a lot worse to come, will have to start using some of that precious oil soon.