Economy, unknown. Model D in PLC.

Discussion in 'Economy Gas Lamp Co' started by Tom B, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Tom B United States

Greetings and thank you for adding me. I have here a recent find that I have questions about. Is there a model number associated with this lamp? About how many were made?

I have played with some Colemans, aside from that I really know nothing about pressure lanterns. What are the chances of getting this lantern fired up? All of the valves feel tight enough I don't want to force them and the feul cap is also not moving easily. I just wiped it down after digging it out of a building packed with junk.

Thank you!

1a.jpg 1b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

According to Neil and his Pressure lamp catalogue, this is a model D.
    The patent he mention there (US1143238) is from 1915, and concern this lantern.
    I added it to our patent section, and you can see it here.

I'm sure Neil will chip in when he reads this.
    ( @Mackburner )

It's not always lamps and lanterns look very similar in patent illustrations, but yours aren't too far from the real deal:

11.jpg

3. Tom B United States

Thank you...yes, this looks very similar..

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:
    That is a scarce lantern and it's well worth restoring.

5. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome Tom, that's a great looking old lamp. I'm new to all this too, but have got the bug for sure.
    You may just find that you won't be able to stop yourself from bringing it back to life.....

Stevie

6. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Tom B

I look on with interest. Welcome to the forum and good luck with the fettle.

Regards Jeremy

7. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

That is a rare thing and a truly great find. I only know of one other so it needs treating with some care. It will be about WW1 vintage so is a true antique and I don't think many were made so it will always be a rare lantern and I wish it was here. The burners on these can be a problem if the pricker tip is damaged. I have two of those burners here from table lamps and I have yet to work out how to fettle the damn prickers. It should run OK though after a good clean inside and out. The filler inlet valve can be awkward. This one looks to be the same as used on early AGM lamps and I make a cycle pump adaptor by taking a brass Schrader valve, burning off the rubber and cutting an M3 thread. It's not a perfect fit in the threaded inlet but good enough to pressurise the lamp.

I don't have a correct model number for this lantern. I know what Economy made from various adverts and lamps with collectors but they don't give model numbers so I gave the unknown ones a letter designation in the Pressure Lamp Catalogue. A to C are table lamps and this lantern is model D and the first one Economy made. ::Neil::

8. Carlsson

So it's not an actual designation from the manufacturer then.
    This has to go in the reference gallery, so any suggestion about what the title should read would be helpful!

9. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Welcome to CCS @Tom B .
    That's a wonderful find.
    Patience, penetrating oil and carefully applied heat will be your friends.
    Looking forward to seeing the lantern working.
    Ask for guidance when you have a problem.

10. Tom B United States

Thank you all for your encouragement. I have my birthday 200A I think I will tear into first. I have a mechanical background, and can probably do this....it being as rare as it is makes it a little intimidating for a first project. I am sure I will have questions before starting this project.

It seems really nice. The nickel on the fount is pretty good, The top looks like the plating is burned off, the mica is really nice with just 1 panel with minimal damage.

11. Titoo

Titoo Subscriber

Very nice and rare lantern :clap:
    Congratulation.

Regards,
    Titoo.

12. Mackburner

No it's not official from the manufacturer. In the PLC when I have a list for a brand with several unknown model numbers but clearly different models I give them a letter to distinguish them. If there are only one or two then I won't bother to do this but lettering them when there are several helps when writing about them. The ones you will see mostly are from the Gloria list where I got to model Z and then added an A so I am now up to AM. Quite arbitrary of course but the PLC is the only list out there and we have to call these things something. So the letters are mine. I would suggest when using these lettered models you title them as PLC numbers. So something like "Economy unknown. Model D in PLC." ::Neil::

13. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Welcome to the forum, lots of friendly knowledge here. Looking forward to seeing this beauty’s money shot.
    Cheers
    Pete

14. Carlsson

Thanks Neil.
    Let me know if you see other models anywhere in here where the title better should be amended in a similar way.

15. Mackburner

There will be a lot in the Gloria gallery. The PLC Gloria list is up to model AM. I will have a look but I suspect it might be better not to go looking for more work. ::Neil::

16. Carlsson

I think you are right.
    Better leave it as it is, but continue with the plc designation when appropriate from now.

17. Mackburner

A wise decision I think. ::Neil::