Efar 609 Optimus 200 / 821

Discussion in '200 (and 821)' started by James K, Oct 14, 2019.

1. James K

James K Subscriber

Happy with my latest find. 20191014_101408.jpg

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Happy fettling!:thumbup:

3. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Congratulations on a nice find. It looks to be in very good condition. These Optimus version of an Efar are not very common. Does this have the one or two piece vapouriser? Either way it is a year or two older than the one I have (which I have just realised I havn't posted here).

4. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

Wow, that was a new model for me, i did not know Optimus made Efar marked models!
    Great find.

5. James K

James K Subscriber

Hello Nils, I will have a look at the vaporizer at the weekend and post some more pics.
    This pic is just a quick snap of the moment it arrived from Rajasthan

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes EFAR did rebadge some Swedish models. I actually don't list an Optimus 200 EFAR lantern though. I do have 2 Optimus table lamps and one Primus 200 listed. I could do with some more images showing the markings on this one please. I need to record it and I would like to have all the details.

FR stuff is odd. The only one with a model number is the Primus 200 which is marked as Efar 982. All ther rest are either EFAR 608 or 609 which are not model numbers, they are registered trade marks. 608 is the registered Indian trade mark and 609 German although that should perhaps be European rather than German. ::Neil::

7. James K

James K Subscriber

Thank you for the information Neil, I will upload some more pics to the gallery when I get back to the workshop. If you need any other pics just say and I will photograph whatever you want.
    James

8. Mackburner

James. Just a couple of side on shots and details of all the markings. I don't need breakdown parts images. I know what an Optimus 200 looks like. So I just would like a series of images to record general appearance and marking detail.

The PLC only lists 11 Efar models which will be 12 with yours but there have to be more. So far I show four lamp brands and when you consider there are table lamps, lanterns and do-nuts there have to be more than 3 for each brand. I would expect Petromax and Hasag to be at least 6 each and likely more. Also we now know that Optimus was three at least with two table lamps and your lantern and Primus could easily be the same so there should be over 18 different lamps at least. ::Neil::

9. Nils Stephenson

I thought I did have mine listed here in the gallery, it is under other brands here. It's been there since 2012, so you should have had it listed Neil. ;) @Mackburner I am interested that you say there are two Optimus table lamps. I know of the one I have (seen here), but don't know of any other.

10. Mackburner

Hmmm I suspect I may have made an incorrect asumption here. I have your lamp listed as 200cp which is clearly not right as it is marked as 300. My images for both are distressingly similar so a revision I think. I have no clue how I missed the 200 lantern though. Almost as though I was getting sloppy in my dotage. I hope not and I will correct that omission right now. Thanks for this. It all helps to keep the PLC improving. ::Neil::

11. Mackburner

Nils. I have just looked at your 200cp Efar lantern and I can't see that it is marked as an Optimus. I may have assumed that was a Petromax. You have had the beast in hand so it is surely an Optimus if you say so. The images are not all that clear so can you confirm for me exactly what is stamped on the tank please. ::Neil::

12. Nils Stephenson

@Mackburner My lantern is stamped exactly as James' above. The top line is EFAR 609, the middle line is 200CP (the 2 and 0 are not stamped well) and the bottom line is Made in Sweden. My lantern is identical to the Optimus 200 from the mid 1930s. Depending on which vapouriser James' lantern has, it will be from 1931 to the mid 1930s.

As for the lamp, the tank is stamped 300CP but the burner is identical to the one on Optimus' 200cp lamps. Optimistic marketing maybe.

13. Mackburner

OK that's cool and thanks. I will amend the PLC accordingly. Just the one table lamp and this lantern. ::Neil::

14. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Now, shall we keep this lantern under Optimus, and move the others here, or should this one join the other under "other brands"?

15. Nils Stephenson

Seeing that the Petromax and Hasag EFAR models are under the original brands, then we should probably move the others. Whether there should be another sub forum under Optimus for EFAR models is another question.

16. Carlsson

I'll move the others to the correct Optimus sections first.
    If there should be specific Efar sections, we can alway fix that later on since it in that case also need to be done with Hasag and Petromax aswell.
    If so, I think it's sufficient with just one Efar section under each manufacturer, where both the table lamps and lanterns could be.

17. Nils Stephenson

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Just one Efar section under the manufacturer for all types of lamps.

18. James K

James K Subscriber

19. Nils Stephenson

Good to see some more photos.

That one piece vapouriser dates it to the first part of the 1930s, unless Optimus were using up old stock for the EFAR order.

The cutouts around the edge of the globe cage base plate. Do they look to be done by hand? I have never seen that before.

20. Mackburner

We list lamps by brand not manufacturer. That is how the PLC is arranged and this site pretty well follows the same logic although this is not cast in stone and we can change things if there is a collective will to do so. The lamps are all marked as Efar brand and should all therefore be in a single list. We do this for Gloria and Coleman where we know they are in a single national gallery although made in different countries. Efar is perhaps slightly different with different manufacturers from different countries. There is also the fact that Efar is Indian but partly German as well. It is a confusing brand and I think should remain as a single brand list. ::Neil::

21. Carlsson

Yes, me and Ross just had a talk about exactly that, and a separate Efar section under India was what we thought might be the best.

Well, remain is not really the right word. It never was as a single brand list, but spread out under different manufacturer, and that's what we wanted to remedy.
    India sounds about right, then.

22. Mackburner

Ah OK I misunderstood. Yes India is where their main base was. The gallery should be for EFAR, EFRAX and RAX brands. All were registered to Franz Raceck in India. There is a problem with Efar lamps because they are almost never given a model number. The numbers 608 and 609 stamped on the product are actually part of the registered brands and not model numbers. Consequently in the PLC I have given the various lamps a designated letter for each. ::Neil::

23. Carlsson

Yes, I noticed that both the Optimus table lamp and the lantern in this topic were called 609.
    A bit confusing. But It also happens on the "real" Optimus where the 200 tank, with its engraved model number remaining, often is used on the table lamps which actually has a totally different model number.

Ross will have to set up the new forums, and then we will start to move the different lamps out there.

24. James K

James K Subscriber

@Nils Stephenson
    The cut outs in the cage securing plate look to be factory, I can only guess to aid the forming process.
    The pump seems to have an unusual locking arrangement and not much room for a washer.
    The tap vaporizer assembly is one piece and has optimus on one side and Sweden on the other if this helps or confuses the dating.

25. James K

James K Subscriber

26. James K

James K Subscriber

After a quick wipe with some autosol we have sparkle party!
    Looks like I need to get a set of service items and we will have light.
    20191027_233611.jpg

27. James K

James K Subscriber

After the ritual sacrifice of a baby 930 and removing it's vital organs, namely needle, jet, mixing chamber, nozzle and pump.
    I am now up to speed with the pump which I had decided was not original and was a radius item. It would seem the nrv needs attention but has been rounded off good by a previous owner. It runs if you hold your finger over the pump which I soon got bored with. Now I know how this lamp survived and what I need to do to fettle it.

20191103_195446.jpg

28. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Looking great !

29. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Good work, nice and bright.

30. Nils Stephenson

The pump in your first photos is the original Optimus item and would be original to the lamp. The 930 pump is not the correct type for the lamp even though it will work.