Evening Star 92061

Discussion in 'The Evening Star' started by Matthew92, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Inspired by Stu's recent post showing how his lamp worked so beautifully, I decided that it was about time I tried one for myself. So here it is with a coleman shade fitted, which I didn't want to leave on too long as my track record with nice glass shades isn't great. :oops: :lol: :lol:

1378066845-ES_c.jpg 1378066857-ES_d.jpg 1378066864-ES_e.jpg 1378066875-ES_a.jpg 1378066884-ES_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Matt, it's a fine lamp and that's a splendid shade! :thumbup:

It's difficult to be sure by looking at photos, but you may need to add some more pressure, Jeff.

3. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Thanks Jeff, this one took a bit of lighting as it kept blocking up every time I opened the tap. There might have been some bits in the top which were blocking the jet but I had to unblock it about 10 times before I eventually got it to run. In the pics without the shade it still wasn't running quite right, but when I fitted the shade, it went on with a bit of a bump which changed something and made the lamp burn quite a bit brighter. I had it going again later tonight and it was much better than before. It was difficult to gauge the amount of pressure I was putting though with the little compressor I was using.

4. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Nice lamp Matthew and I love that shade. I had one like this a few years ago and managed to blow it to bits!

5. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Hi Matt

Glad you were inspired to get this super lamp up & running :clap: :clap: :clap: 8) :thumbup: , the shade looks like a hand painted Famos one :D :thumbup: , a very nice setup :D/ :D :thumbup:

I have just been on to the "Old Flames" website & ordered an Aladdin ribbed opal shade D6R ( about halfway down the page ) which is very similar to the original......

http://www.oldflames-lamparts.co.uk/catalogue.html

Well done matt 8) :thumbup:

Best regards Stu :D :thumbup:

6. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Matt, if you do not have an ES., pump, then an Akron or a Coleman pump will do and they are often listed on Ebay USA., Jeff.

7. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

That was one of my worries Jean hence why I took it off shortly after the picture. It does well for display though.

Famos made a shade that was identical to these Coleman (part no. 324) ones in design, of which I have one. The difference between them though is that the Coleman is a much sharper, cleaner moulding than the famos. I must get one of those ribbed shades sometime, I'd like something I can use without worrying too much.

A pump is also on my list of things to get hold of, the compressor works well but isn't ideal. [-X :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the positive comments. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

8. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Matt, the link below shows the Amish pump, Jeff.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-2137-air-pump-for-amish-pressure-table-lamp.aspx

9. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Hi Matt,

I'll also add that the shade looks fantastic on your lamp, which is also quite excellent. I'm a big Akron fan, and would love to add some Evening Star lamps due to their mutual history) but they are hard to find over here.

I have the brown version of this shade (#318) and have been trying to find a blue tint 324 like yours. They can go for serious money around here, last one was well over $200.00.

I'd leave the shade on the lamp. What good is a nice shade on a shelf sans lamp? Besides, I'll bet most shades are broken in the process of being taken off/on a lamp than if left alone and enjoyed as is.

Dan

10. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

One odd fact I am still puzzled about with these lamps is the fact that early ES and Kildark Lamps were imported direct from Akron or at least it appears so BUT we know very well that those Akron products are rather prone to stress cracks in both the fount and the fuel feed tube. However I am not aware of any ES lamps suffering this fate. I have to wonder therefore if they were in fact imported founts or were copied in England and only the burners imported. The other possibility is that those early Akron made ES lamps only date from around 1923-24 and perhaps for those few years the Akron product was in fact better made than the later ones. No way to date an Akron lamp so it is not possible to compare with products from the same time period.

ES product is beyond rare in the US although I did buy an ES table lamp on the Bay from the US a few years back but that was probably a personal import.

::Neil::

11. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

There's an immediate difference that I notice between my lamp and Stu's and that is the base in mine is brass. The Kildark I have (although its a wall lamp) has an almost identical shaped tank which would make sense. Minor differences but the main one is that the Kildark tank is slightly deeper than the Evening star. The Kildark also has a steel base plate and stress cracks which at a guess I would say shows that one is an Akron import and the other is British made. This is just a theory that I've come up with but it seems likely that the two British names would use the same tank for the wall and table lamps. So if they were using the same tanks then my lamps come from two different periods when they imported and when they made. :-s Any thoughts? :lol:

12. Mackburner

There are certainly two different tank shapes. I am not sure when the change happened but possibly around 1926 when the company changed hands from Curtis's and Harvey to Lighting Trades. There may also be minor differences in the earlier tank and that may well be a change from an import to a home made tank. There are other differences between ES and Kildark on some the filler cap is not compatible. I can't remember which it was but I do remember an Evening Star here that was missing a filler and when I tried a Kildark cap it would not fit.

I suppose what I should do is line up all the ES and KD lamps and lanterns here and study them for minor changes.

Neil.

13. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

I managed to pick up a couple of shades today. One is a reproduction like Stu's which will be perfect for when I want to light the lamp. The second i'm not sure about, it's certainly an old one but whether or not it is original Evening star/Kildark, I don't know. Any thoughts on this? The top fitter hole is quite tight on shade holder but I think it's a coleman shade holder so that might be why.

1379269244-Shade_a.jpg 1379269253-Shade_b.jpg 1379269260-Shade_c.jpg 1379269268-Shade_d.jpg 1379269273-Shade_e.jpg

14. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Matt, the shade on the left does look older and what is it's bottom dimension? Jeff.

15. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't measure it but its around 10" very close anyway, it's maybe a millimetre bigger than the repro one.

16. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Matt, check out the shades page via the link below.

I think that your older shade is shown there, the top of your shade and the shade image are both less flared, Jeff.

http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/163

17. JEFF JOHNSON

This link is for Evening Star paperwork and the shades which are shown there also look less flared at the top, Jeff.

http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/5176

18. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Hi Guys

Here's mine to compare :D :thumbup:

1379283116-DSCF4528_opt.jpg

Stu :D :thumbup:

19. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Thanks for the help and links Jeff. My shade looks most like the one shown on the 92061 in the ES catalogue as some appear to have wider ribs than others. Having said that I don't think they would have been making different styles of ribbed shade which in the catalogue some seem to be so, I would say that a certain amount is artists interpretation. Not sure yet, we could do with seeing a picture of a known original shade to compare this one to, but does anyone actually have one that is original for definite? :? ](*,) :lol:

Thanks for the pic Stu, I'll post some of mine with the shade fitted at some point during the week, as I now have 15 litres of panel wipe to burn my way through. :D/ :lol: :lol:

20. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Matt, the link below shows the Akron page on Terry's website and if you scroll down the page, there are ribbed shades on a twin burner lamp and the top of them are less flared.

Different glass manufacturers may have had slightly different molds for similar shades, that's my theory anyway, Jeff.

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/akronlamp.htm

21. JEFF JOHNSON

This link shows Conny's ES., table lamp, Jeff.

http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/4383

22. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Yes, I can imagine there would have been some slight differences if other manufacturers were used. The other thing with mine is it has a wide plain band around the top which the illustrations in the catalogue don't appear to have.

23. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Matt, it's a fine shade :thumbup: and that is the main thing, Jeff.

24. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Good point :D thank you.

25. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Here we are, the repro shade doing it's job quite well. Is it normal for the shade to be so hot that you can't put your hand on it while it's running? I'm sure a Tilley onion globe gets quite hot during running but that's much closer. This seems so hot i'd have thought the shade would break. :doh: Hopefully not though, i'm sure i'm just worrying about nothing. :D

1379445159-running_a.jpg 1379445166-running_b.jpg 1379445172-running_c.jpg

26. Flygt

The shade appears to be a thick wall molded glass reproduction which may at some point shatter from heat. I've given up using those when a lamp is burning as I've broken several and stay with original thin walled borosilicate designed for use on pressure appliances. The shade looks nice for display purposes however. All of the glass shades become very hot.

27. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

High temperature per se doesn't break glass. It's sudden changes in temperature which cause thermal stress. Since glass isn't a particularly good conductor of heat, thicker glass is more likely to break than thin - one side gets hot and expands, the other side stays cooler and doesn't - hence the stress and breakage...

28. Mackburner

In fact these repro shades are sold as wicky crap lamp shades and most of them chuck out a lot of heat. They burn more fuel than a pressure lamp for sure and the shades get pretty hot. I generally use repro shades for displays, not because they might break in use but rather because I prefer not to carry old glass around where it might get damaged in transit. I have never had one break in use. Dropped a few over the years and they don't bounce well but so far they have always managed the heat OK. ::Neil::