First renovation.

Discussion in 'Lamp Action Gallery' started by Dave Lockett, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Dave Lockett

Dave Lockett United Kingdom Subscriber

Guardsman not used for at least ten years. The frame was in an extremely rusty state so I rubbed down smooth and left in a rust dissolving solution to prevent any further rust developing and then sprayed with VHT black. The fount had previously had most of the gold paint removed at some time and then polished poorly. I didn't feel confident in re-spraying gold paint on top o0f brass so I've spent some time polishing the fount with Solvol polish.

I don't know if I've done right by doing all these things but it is many times better than it was and I'm quite chuffed as it's my first renovation. The main thing is, it will be used and not scrapped.

Regards,
    Dave.

DSC00759.JPG DSC00757.JPG DSC00756.JPG DSC00755.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2020
  2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    These are such good lanterns, so far better they get to be running than languishing uncared for in the corner somewhere.

Tony

3. Gary Waller

It looks great and it working well. Just a query but do you know why there is no middle ring around the frame?

4. Dave Lockett

Hi Gary,
    I don't know why it's missing. I noticed when rubbing the frame down that there was one on at some time. It's been very neatly cut off level with the uprights. I just assumed it was a modification done at the factory. I'm new at this game so I haven't any experience. Should there be one fitted?
    Regards,
    Dave.

5. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Great work! Another lamp saved :thumbup:

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well fettled!:thumbup::thumbup:

7. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Good to see another lamp saved, well fettled! There would have been a middle ring on the frame originally, no worries without it. Modern Tilleys have it missing now by design...

Stevie

8. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I also have a frame with the middle ring removed. I'm in the process of re-building it now actually. I'll post about it when it's finished.

9. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Dave Lockett
    You have done a very good job fettling your X246 Guardsman. Well done and it’s great that you posted the money shot.

One of the great things about our lampie hobby is that as you progress in restoring lanterns you start to learn to tackle new skills, one being spray painting founts (tanks), and in doing so you learn and become proficient in these new skills.

Now, your Guardsman needs a mate ...... But beware, when you have 2 lanterns, they breed ........ :lol:
    Enjoy your new hobby and I’m looking forward to reading your future posts.
    Cheers
    Pete

10. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

The way the handle is fitted indicates the frame is from a 1950 - 1954 lantern but the tank is 1954 - 1957. In this case, I don't think it's too important. You've made a fine job of your first fettle, the lantern looks good and is working well. Congratulations.

Henry.

11. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

When Tilleys and Bialaddins were in daily use I doubt owners gave a second thought to the authenticity or whether a part was the exact age it should be... if a part broke or something went wrong they most likely fitted whatever got it going, regardless. It's actually quite charming in a way.

Now it's yours and you've brought it back to life again.

12. Dave Lockett

It was given to me by a family member who hadn't used it for about ten years. The frame was pitted due to corrosion so I had to rub it down to reduce the pitting. The fount was tarnished heavily. I must have spent over an hour polishing with Solvol by hand. The polishing revealed craters of copper which I couldn't remove; you may be able to spot them on the photo's. I wouldn't have a clue on its authenticity of the different parts. I was intent on using all the existing parts where possible so I suppose it's a mongrel! I really enjoyed doing it and it works. On to the next one.

13. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I've never managed to get clear in my head how to date Tilley tanks after the pork-pie variety and before they began dating in October 195(7?). Reading the PLC, it seems to involve the lower tank shape and the presence/absence of the owl logo.

Could some kind soul provide me with a simple list, in chronological order (which is important given the way my mind works!) pointing out the salient features of each variation? [-o<

14. Dave Lockett

Mine has no date stamp underneath, just made in england. The fount has tilley england around the side plus the owl logo.

Attached Files:

15. Tony Press

David

I think I’ve got this sequence sorted. It’s in the PLC, but I’ve got it arranged by examples in the Reference Gallery.

I’ll post it here over the weekend.

Tony

16. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Cheers, Tony.

What I find a bit difficult with the tank-dating section in the PLC is that (as Neil says there), he initially came up with a sequence which, with subsequent research and knowledge gained, proved to be incorrect. However, it had stood so long in its original form, he decided not to change it. Also, for me, the images are a bit small. I'm mainly interested in the evolution of the X246 from 1950 to 1961...

17. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Welcome to CPL @Dave Lockett .
    Your Tilley has cleaned up nicely, congratulations :thumbup:

18. Dave Lockett

I'd really like some reference shots to see how the X246 Guardsman evolved. Many thanks.
    Regards,
    Dave.

19. Tony Press

The Tilley X246 started with the "pork pie" tank. The variations of this style of X246 are not the subject of this post.

DRAFT [After I get feedback and corrections, I'll edit this text and post it with the pork pie variations and any additions as "How to date your Tilley X246"]

1949-1954:
    This version has the ‘new’ X246 tank; a cage with 'ears'; and absolutely no stamping.

E8919C53-DAA9-4460-9FB4-E0ACCB338E81.jpeg

[From: Tilley X246 (1950 -1954) ]

1954 - 1957: This version has the cage with clips mountings a for the handle (bail); tank with a groove around the top of the base flange; tank stamped with “Tilley — Owl — England”; no date stamp until October 1956. (See note below).

Tilley_X246_Guardsman_Deluxe_00.jpg
    [From: 1954 - 1956 Tilley X246 Guardsman Deluxe ]

0A5249B8-FC99-4F97-832C-9405BC1A9FBA.jpeg
    [From: 1954-1957 Tilley X246 De Lux ]

October 1956 onwards: Tilley date stamped the tanks; inverted the base plate; and reintroduced the 1950 to 1954 tank (ie no groove around the base flange); thence to X246A and X246B.

Any corrections or suggestions gladly accepted. I could not have done this without @Mackburner 's Pressure Lamp Catalogue (PLC), and much discussion with @Anthony.

Note: In the PLC Neil has noted one example of a 1954 X246 with the tank 1949 - 1954 tank stamped "Tilley - Owl - England". A question also for @Mackburner: what do you make of these two X246s: 1954-1957? Tilley 246 Lit Up and 1950s X246 STORM LAMP

Cheers

Tony

@David Shouksmith @Dave Lockett

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  20. Dave Lockett

Many thanks Tony.
    Regards,
    Dave.

21. Tony Press