Fixing broken globe on Primus 1001

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Kuman, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:14 PM.

1. Kuman

Kuman Sweden Subscriber

My "blue hat" Primus 1001 came with broken glass globe.
    This globe is so hard to find that I use the broken one but every time I need to remove it I got scared it will disintegrate.
    Gluing with silicone or heat-resistant epoxy could be a solution but I wanted something which will look a bit more tidy. Something like a reflector on Radius.

I tried copper tape. It is a thin copper strip with adhesive on one side. You can buy it in gardening shops - it's used to stop snails from eating strawberries or something like that.

1.JPG
    The globe broke pretty unfortunately on wide area. One strip was not enough to cover it entirely, I used two.

2.JPG

Looks clean and tidy before lightning.

3.JPG 4.JPG

I expected the glue to burn, of course, but hoped to have enough rigidity in the copper to hold the assembly together. Here the glue starts "tarnishing":

5.JPG

Looking in IR-spectrum we see that temperature gradient is very steep. Of course.

6.jpg

Copper, however, dissipates heat very quickly:

7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

After few hours of burning at full throttle my copper inlay looks "weathered":

10.JPG

Inside the globe:

11.JPG

Around 50% of glue is still intact at the bottom of the globe. That holds the copper strip in place. Copper rigidity keeps the upper part, now formed into co-centric radius with the globe, as if it was still glued.
    The whole assembly is still rigid and sound - no cracking in glass when I remove it from the lantern.

I consider gluing 2 strips also on the inside, to contain the break-line. Here I will probably use heat-resistant epoxy paste.
    I'll wait with that a few days - so far these external strips are doing good job in keeping all together. Inside-strip would be just to hide this annoying break-line.

I hope that helps you guys.

2. Walkop Australia

Have a Austramax with a globe that has a similar crack from top to bottom. So far it has stayed in one piece and I handle the globe with care.

Neat idea with the copper strip, may give it a try one day.

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

It's a neat looking fix , Kuman . :thumbup:
    Let us know how it stands up to the heat long term.