FL6 reflector and glass holder screw type ?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by David McC, Oct 11, 2017.

1. David McC

David McC Subscriber

Hi all, been a while since I have been on the forum but am now back fettling..!
    I am sorting out a FL6 for a friend and a number of the small machine screws which hold both the reflector and glass holder clamp in place are missing.
    I wonder if anyone can advise the correct screw type to use ?
    I have measured the holes with a selection of drills and typically a 3mm drill passes through the holes. I expect it wouldn't be a metric thread and wondered if it was a BA thread ?
    Equivalent would be 6BA as the nearest to 3mm from what I can tell.
    Just interested to know if anyone who has restored a FL6 has replaced the screws and if so what size/thread did you use ? Many thanks Dave

2. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

I ordered once 4BA screws/nuts for a AL21, don't know if the FL6 uses the same size screws.

3. David McC

David McC Subscriber

Thanks for the feedback. 4BA appears to be 3.6mm diameter so not far away from my thinking. 5BA is 3.2mm, 6BA is 2.8mm. I guess if I just pick in this range it wont be far away. I will measure a couple of the bolts on a vernier caliper to see if I can pin down a size. Cheers

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

OK, but if you do end up using a slightly different size to whatever it was Tilley used, they'll still do the job and will anyone else even know (or care!)... 8]

5. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

The main reason for me o use the BA screws was the correct look of the head compared to the modern look of screws produced nowadays.

6. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

:-k What shape are screw heads in Germany, Stephan? I thought they'd be the same shape as in the UK i.e. made in China! :lol:

7. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

Yesssss, they surely come from China and compared to the original screws they look as inappropriate as chinese chopsticks in a bowl of Mulligatawny-Soup (which I have never heard of before but it sounds funny) :lol:

Here in Germany there are no slotted half round headed machine screws like the old ones below available any more. They were standardised in DIN 86 which was withdrawn in 1964, sometimes there are NOS screws or reproductions available on eBay etc. for restoration purposes (old motorbikes etc.).

They are very sought after because trying to unscrew the old rusted screws causes in 99% of the cases a damage of the slot which they noticed at least in 1964 :lol:. An example is in the middle of the photo.

On the left the chopsticks, on the right the real stuff:

2017-10-13-15-45-09.jpg

8. David McC

David McC Subscriber

Thanks for the feedback...yes I am trying to pick a BA screw to achieve a near to original look of the head of the screw so that it appears correct. There are a few suppliers I have found so I just need to measure the existing screws (tomorrows job) and then source something suitable. Stephan's picture is very illustrative of my issue and also how rotten modern stuff would look on a lamp! BA should be a good compromise I would say. :)

9. David McC

David McC Subscriber

Reflector bolts are 2.69mm, glass clamp 3.1mm....basically 6BA and 5BA so I have ordered a selection which should do the job. When I get them I will probably standardise on the one size which looks the best on the lamp but it gives me the option anyway...!

10. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Isn't this just a question of looking for the size in domed,pan head or cheese head, slotted, xBA ?
    I doubt cross head or philips were used. Good luck.

11. longilily United Kingdom

I've probably got some 6BA brass cheese heads down my shop if you get stuck