Flame size on petromax

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Asbestos, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Asbestos

Asbestos Subscriber

I got the Picostar (pertromax) up and running but now there seem to be an excess of flame from the mantle. I used a Larger mantle on it and it was kind of dim, and there seemed to be a lot of excess flame. I switched to a Coleman 21, because that's what I had. and it burned noce and bright but the excess flame was still there. I don't know if it is an "excess" but I certainly think so. My experience is mainly with American Lamps burning Naptha. I probably should have had the lights down but at the time it seemed clear enough. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    picostar.jpg

2. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

A 21 is way too small; a 111 would be the right size. You have a halo of flame around the mantle which is a bad thing as it overheats the J-tube and can cause mixture to burn inside it. Running with less pressure will help a little. What larger mantle did you use before?

3. MG

MG Subscriber

I have a similar issue with my Efar and someone suggested adjusting the distance between the jet and the J tube but mine is non adjustable, i have fitted an adjustable top from an old Anchor lantern but have not got around to testing it yet.

4. Asbestos

Asbestos Subscriber

It was an American Mantle brand (made in India) 8003 I seems to be about like a Coleman 99 or so. It was pretty huge at least 2x as big as the 21 I'm going to order some of the Peerles or the petromax just had not gotten around to it. There still was a halo with the big mantle and is did not seem all that bright, although that is an issue I have had before with American Mantle mantles before, they just don't seem terribly bright. (in the interest of being non political I won't be including any references to any American political figures here, no matter how much I like the pun)

5. Asbestos

Asbestos Subscriber

mine is a nut hidden above the ceramic burner cap on the lid, I gues other have it in a different spot

6. MG

MG Subscriber

Mine now has a screw and clamp to the side of the J tube to allow adjustment, hopefully it solves the issue, the entrance of the Anchor J tube above the jet is larger than the Efars but the tube itself looks the same size, not sure if that makes a difference, i have also fitted a new jet and cleaning needle to be on the safe side.

7. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Stay with the Peerless, you can't go wrong. If you can find some old 11 or 1111 Coleman silkies even better.

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

The Halo on the outside of the mantle is usually a rich mixture problem. If the gap between the jet and J tube is correct I would suspect the jet is worn (oversize ).

9. george

george United States Subscriber

I think the jet may be enlarged, too. Try a new jet and needle if you have them.:-k

10. Hanzo

I have a couple of Picos and last time I tried to light one it was the J tube that seem to cause the problem . I just disassembled and assembled and the problem went away. They are really great lanterns I find.

11. Asbestos

Asbestos Subscriber

It's actually a new orifice, It came in the little bag of parts from bright lite. I did adjust the j tube a bit as it seemed to be burning rich, That will be my next thing I will fiddle with after I get some correct mantles

12. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi @Asbestos , is the new orifice of the correct size? 350cp and 500cp ones will both fit the same Preston vapourizer. I'm not so sure about the 250cp ones as I don't have a 250cp lantern myself.

Best regards,

Wim

13. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Besides all mentioned: what is your pressure ?
    Keeping in mind that the pressure indicator may be way off.

14. Asbestos

Asbestos Subscriber

Nope. It's a gauge I have it right on the mark. Just like the internet, gauges are never wrong!
    That could be an issue it does not seem unduly high. As far as orifice size it's a 500CP lantern so unless brightlyte sent me a 750 tip. I will swap it out with the original just to see.
    Thanks

15. MG

MG Subscriber

My 300cp Efar came with a 200cp jet which is apparently original and when i spoke to Basecamp to order some new parts he said if it has a halo then a larger jet would only make it worse.

16. Asbestos

Asbestos Subscriber

I put a Coleman 111 mantle on it (about the size of one of my socks) this seemed to help a lot, I adjusted the air gap to the 14.2 MM and it burns much brighter and appears to have a better mix. However I still do see some halo flames above it with the vent off. I heard that the pricker length should be adjusted, although I can't imagine how this would be the issue.

17. Bryan Roesslet

I received and used some Petromax 250cp mantles last weekend and I'm sold. The difference in quality and output was really striking to my estimation.