Flaring Vapalux M320

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Fireexit1, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Picked up a 1999 (but not proven) M320. Put new seal kit/mantle on to it and I get flames outside mantle, and coming through top cap vents. Then substituted the whole top of a perfectly functioning 315. Same issue so we can rule out anything up top.
    Classic symptoms of low pressure/worn or damaged vapoursier. Fitted new (original willis and bates) vapouriser. Same flaring.
    Took cock out and made sure the feed pipe was clean. All OK. Did the bucket of water pressure test and no bubbles were seen.
    Problem still persists. Fount is clean inside

I am running have run out of ideas/options so I put it to the learned participants of this forum.[-o<

cheers
    Chris

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

You could try preheating it for longer.

3. Alex74

Alex74 United Kingdom Subscriber

Yes, try preheating first much longer, then open and close the stop cock several times in rapid succession. That might do it.

4. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

Try the vaporiser off your 315. I have known new vaporisers to be faulty.

5. george

george United States Subscriber

All good advice. Even though you fitted a NOS vaporizer there still could be a problem with the new one. Maybe the control cock is simply wore out. Longer preheat might help. Don't know....
    Crazy as it sounds, could you take your old vaporizer and use it with the perfectly functioning 315 top and see what happens?
    If that doesn't work then it could be the control cock...

6. Fireexit1

Well @Gary Waller and @george - it was indeed a NOS vapouriser that was faulty. I took the one off the 315 and it worked in the M320. The NOS vapouriser was then put in the 315 - and nasty flaring ensued.
    I live and learn.
    thanks all

Chris

7. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

That’s bad luck, but unfortunately I have seen it before.

8. george

@Fireexit1
    Chris,
    I've had more than one "NOS" vaporizer go south on me! Right now I did the final touches on my restored 300 Vapalux 1943, and wouldn't you know it the damn thing is pulsing faintly! Put in a NOS vap, NOS pump leather, all new seals, dunk test, even a NOS tank cap! Correct V42 mantle and thought what can go wrong?...](*,):x:rage::thumbdown: Boy, was I in for a surprise!!! Pure frustration!!!
    Just goes to show, NOS be damned!!! Still got problems! Tank was lightly media blasted with glass beads and the inside looks clean as a whistle!
    Only thing remaining is a tear down of the burner assembly. I don't like to fool with the burner if I can help it. I did blow it all out.
    Geo.

9. Fireexit1

@george
    I have taken many burners apart (not knowing much better at the time) - having said that the only shall we say "loose" one was a Vapalux 300. I have often wondered about putting water glass in the threads just to take up the slack.
    Chris

10. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

Hi @george i have stripped a number burners down recently mostly from scrap / restoration project lamps.
    I have found, mostly with the Tilley burners a large amount of distortion along with pitted a badly corroded central steel burner tubes. Examples shown below, I’m pretty sure that whatever lamps these were on the light would have been poor.
    D54B39F5-DD10-4E7C-B52D-5F77FA0B2D8E.jpeg 5C92DECF-3B7A-4BE2-887B-AC27520FA762.jpeg 25A5A79D-952B-49BA-996B-B2A5105CB239.jpeg CB398121-0696-4488-B385-A4B746896355.jpeg 8408183C-5283-468C-833B-8814B77DE9C7.jpeg

11. george

@Gary Waller
    Gary, that's why I hesitate tearing one of these down. When you reach the point where the last resort is tearing it apart, I scrap it. It's not worth the aggrevation. You can't get them back together without a battle royal. :whistle: