Fount is leaking at vaporizer point

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by txminhcoke, Jan 14, 2020.

1. txminhcoke Vietnam

Hi there,
    I found leaking point on fount of petromax. Someone welded by lead but not perfect.
    Pls help to advise how to take out screw and repair, i don't want to weld outside this point.

Note: pls look picture on the arrow highlight. Leak under screw.

Regards,
    Minh

IMG_20200114_074249.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2020
  2. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@txminhcoke Hi Minh

I an no Petromax expert, and there are plenty here so you should receive good advice.

If I recall correctly the vaporiser has a lead washer or seal beneath it and the fount. I would think a bodge repair has been attempted rather then removing the old and replacing with new.

I look forward to seeing your progress and the expert advice which is sure to follow.

Good luck and happy fettling.

Regards Jeremy

3. txminhcoke Vietnam

@X246A hi x246A,
    We have 2 things.
    - between fount and vaporiser have one lead washer No.90 (spare part list). It is easy to take out and replace new one. I have many lamp and i did many time.
    - under lead washer, fount have one screw (or nut) where install (or connect) vaporiser to fount. It is permenant and could not take out easilly. Problem is this screw, kerosene leaked under screw, not leak at lead washer. I mean vaporiser and lead washer is fixed and tight.
    I see someone take out this screw and replplace new, but it is not spare part list, it include on fount.
    I want to take out carefully make sure that not damaged to can resuse this component

Pls advise

4. X246A

Hi Minh

I’m not sure what screw you mean and can’t see from the photograph so I’ll leave this one for the experts.

I’ll be watching to see what I can learn and good luck.

Regards Jeremy

5. txminhcoke Vietnam

Hi Jeremy,
    I could not take out my lampe, so i attached another fount to look easier

Hope can fix problem

IMG_20200114_111018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2020
  6. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

hi @txminhcoke ,
    The hexagonal bung is permanently soldered with soft lead solder to the fount. If it leaks there it can easily be resoldered:

Wash out the fount so that no paraffin remains inside it.
    Clean very thoroughly all around the joint with alcohol or carb cleaner spray and an old toothbrush.
    Colour in a circle around the joint with a black felt tip permanent marker to prevent the solder sticking to the metal next to the joint area.
    As this fount is nickel plated I would not use zinc chloride acid flux but rather use rosin flux paste.
    Apply a small amount of flux paste to the solder joint around the hexagonal bung.
    Fill the fount about half full with cold tap water.
    Using a a small gas blow torch flame, carefully and evenly heat up the bung from above untill the solder melts and flows.
    If you have an electric soldering iron you can use it to help guide the solder flow in the joint.
    Add a very small amount of rosin core solder into the joint as needed. Sometimes just re-flowing the solder that is there, is enough.
    If there is too much solder, wipe away the excess with a damp cloth and re-flow with a little more flux.
    When you are satisfied with the joint, let it cool a little and wash away the flux and marker ink with alcohol or carb cleaner spray.
    The finished solder joint should be smooth, shiny and concave and not round, rough or blobby.

7. txminhcoke Vietnam

Hi @phaedrus42,
    Thanks for your advise.
    I will resolder as your instruction.
    I have solder iron, but i worry about my experience. It will be not smoothly as my expectation.,
    Thanks,
    Minh

8. X246A

Hi Minh

I understand now. As I said, an expert will be along with the necessary advice. Like you I also fear the quality of my soldering skills.

Regards Jeremy

9. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Hi Minh, A normal soldering iron on its own will not provide enough heat. A small gas flame played every few seconds over the hexagonal bung and also on the soldering iron will get the solder flowing well. Keep the tin of flux paste handy and apply it with e.g. an ear bud when the solder is hot. It is actually really easy to get a good result with just a little practice.
    Try it out first on a piece of scrap sheet metal and a metal nut of similar size and thickness to get an idea of how much heat, flux and solder you need and how to make the solder flow nicely between the parts. Everything must be bright and clean with no rust or dirt.

10. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

All this talk of soldering made me want to do some...
    It was a hideous SA Railways repair with a huge dam of solder around the bung.
    Removed the old solder, carefully scoured away the solder wetting off the brass, masked it and resoldered with minimum solder, an electronic iron and a small gas flame.

porkpie-bung1.jpg porkpie-bung2.jpg

11. txminhcoke Vietnam

Hi @phaedrus42,
    You are perfect. It's very nice
    Thanks for your sharing.
    Regards,
    Minh

12. MYN

@txminhcoke
    Its quite common for the bung to leak as the the vaporizers had been repeatedly removed for servicing. I had quite a number of Petromaxes with the same problem.
    You'd need a torch as suggested by @phaedrus42 to ensure sufficient heating of the mating parts and the internal threads of the hex adaptor bung. Else the solder wouldn't wet or flow nicely into the tiny gap.
    Be sure to partially fill the fount with water to prevent overheating the other unintended areas.
    With some practice, its not too difficult. There's also chances that solder might just seep all the way into the fount if the clearance between the threaded parts is not close. You'd notice that the joint is 'sucking' up more solder than necessary. Good luck.