Fraudulent bay of evil seller is back

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by hikerduane, Nov 20, 2021.

1. hikerduane

Have not seen a seller for some months who somehow takes over an account on the bay, so maybe don't contact them, just report. They usually have for sale Coleman OCD lanterns around $3,000 USD. Scroll down on their listing to see how they want payment made. They list other items too if you check out their other offerings.
    Duane

2. george United States

If it appears high in price let the guy go!
    I think I know who you’re talking about.
    Let The Buyer Beware!:whistle:

3. hikerduane

Listings are gone already. I believe they used Hovik Verk stoves also in the past.
    Duane

4. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Look for feuerhand and you find a seller from Japan who has a lot of rare lamps.
    Most in very good conditions.

5. hikerduane

The seller I mention takes over accounts, then if you scroll down in the listing, it states how to contact them and make payment outside of the bay. Not a case of the high prices of seller(s) in Japan.
    Duane

6. george United States

I don’t think he should be doing that. eBay isn’t happy when you do this, it apparently causes them problems. :rage:

7. DoubleDoom United Kingdom

I saw two posts and had to double-take thinking it was surely a typing error. I didn't realise they had form.

8. Rangie

Rangie United States Subscriber

Feel free to say eBay, it doesn't matter and helps the bots to pick up on these threads about scammers.

Alec.

9. Konabill

More aggressive now…..I’ve watched it appear several times in the last month. It’s usually up for several hours to a full day……….
    Previously there were 8,000 listings and now it has evolved to over 22,000 listings, definitely growing to cover more categories and get in the eyes of more buyers…….here’s a screenshot of a recent hacked account showing over 22,000 listings
    Unfortunately buyers must be falling for the scam because it keeps coming back and getting bigger……..
    Here’s your OCD lantern @hikerduane

63B903C1-DCA2-4237-957B-13F2925E3055.jpeg

10. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

You only have to google "paypal account hacked" to find stories of people and small businesses losing lots of money to these scammers. Also ebay now insist on access to your bank account, and not via paypal etc. Now marry this up with the fact that Ebay then have the ability to take the funds from your account to repay all the purchasers that did not get their goods...
    I am surprised anyone sells via ebay. I am not surprised (but constantly disappointed) that people use weak passwords or do not use two factor id (2FA) on a system that is linked directly to their bank account...

11. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

Afaik in EU 2FA is mandatory for banks.
    Paypal has it too.

But thought this thread is about fraudulent sellers side.

And i understood, some ebay accounts were hacked and misused.

I.e. protect your ebay account.
    But ebay has no 2FA ???

12. DoubleDoom United Kingdom

It does. Not by an authenticator but via app or OTP via text message I believe

13. Fireexit1

It is about Ebay accounts being hijacked. So given that Ebay will only allow you to sell if you give them access to your bank account, and they guarantee that buyers are 100% protected, they will take the money from your bank and give it back to the buyer without telling you beforehand. So if you sell on Ebay you really should use the 2FA solution, for your own protection !

14. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

:-k What would you suggest as an alternative...

15. Fireexit1

If enough people didn't then they would have to change their strategy. The ony way I would do it as is, is if I had a seperate dedicated bank account that I emptied nightly !

16. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

I think a lot of people don't know or understand the conditions and terms they agree on when using paypal or ebay or...
    The buyer "protection" of ebay via paypal is known as verry wrong. Even if you have proof of postage and delivery, when the buyer claims he din't get the item, he will get a full refund FROM your account.
    A German friend had this on hand, years ago.

17. george United States

David,
    Don’t use eBay? lol

18. hikerduane

I had a seller send me a different stove than listed, although the same model. Filed a claim, sent it back, then seller said not what they sent to me. I have consiergier service so got a refund, then mentioned I understood if you said something, return shipping would get refunded also.
    Duane