Generator for Coleman 242B?

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Doc Mark, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Doc Mark

Greetings, All,

Some of you may know me from CCS, but for those that don't, I'm Doc Mark, and I am a certified Stove-Aholic, with Lantern and Lamp tendencies!! ;) O:) :D

I recently used my old Coleman 242B, from 1948, at a California Stove Gathering (#5), in the Mojave Desert. It's been a real trooper of a lantern ever since it was gifted to me by a retired US Army Colonel, who is also a very dear friend. At the event, however, I noticed that the generator nut showed signs of leaking at the top of the nut. I'm guessing that the generator flanges has finally cracked, after all these years of faithful service, and I am going to replace the generator. My guess is that the Coleman #200A-5891 generator would be the current replacement for the 242B. Is that right? If not, I'd appreciate some suggestions as to what would work best in my old Coleman friend. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Doc. I have just looked it up in Matthew's list and yes 200A-5891 is right for 242B. You might also check the fitter nut. I have seen those crack and fail as well. The other thing that can happen is the flare on the end of the generator can get flattened out and that can be sorted by annealing the bras and then re flaring the end. ::Neil::

3. Doc Mark

Morning, Neil,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I'll definitely check the other things that you suggested, and know that, one way, or the other, this old 242B will soon be doing what it does best. Out of all the Coleman lanterns that I own and use, the 242 family is one of my most favorite. Strong, reliable, easy to use, easy to pack, and a wonderfully bright light, they are hard to beat. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Mark, welcome at CPL! ;) O:)

Best regards,

Wim

5. longilily

longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Doc

Nice to have you around here too !

Ray

6. mr optimus

Hi Doc a big welcome to CPL and it is great you have joined us here,i will look forward to your posts and seeing some pics of your 242B up and running with it's new generator :clap: :clap: :clap:

7. DaveD

Hey Doc,

Dave from CCS here!! Make sure you keep the insides to the old 242b genny. I have found the performance is better with the old spring set up as opposed to the newer cardboard/fiber tube. If you find after changing out the genny the lantern pulses a bit you can add a piece of zippo lighter wick wrapped into the coils of the spring at the low end (tank end) of the genny. Good luck and let us know the outcome. Also keep in mind if it turns out there is nothing wrong with the genny but maybe just a loose nut keep it as these can readily be cleaned up and continued to be used.

Dave

8. Doc Mark

Greetings, Everyone,

Many thanks for all the fine information, and warm welcomes!! Much appreciated! I will be ordering at least one original T66 generator, and some of the replacements, as well, so they can be compared as to how they work. Since a I have a few 242's, I can test one against another, as long as both function fairly close to begin with. I'll let you all know how this turns out. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc