Ghost plating from Camp Wounded Dog Workshop

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Bruce Kuda, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Bruce Kuda

Bruce Kuda United States Subscriber

One of my GPA Friends Don Harris came to me with an idea-- he can make peel-able decals that could be used as stencils-- he asked if i could copper plate a font- apply the decal then nickel plate and remove the stencil to reveal a copper image in a nickle finish-- I said "Dang! lets give it a shot!" another one of my fettling friends Ethan Cosby said we should call it ghosting-- great term- thats what we call it !

copper plate stencil 006.JPG

2. Tive

Tive Zambia Subscriber

Thats nice, i used to work with Nickel, brass and copper plating when i was younger ! we did a lot of fun stuff like that, i still hav copper plated wrenches in my garage since back then.

We always copper plated before Nickel plating if it was steel, if it was brass then we just used nickel. Brass and copper plating involved Cyanide i remember.

Could he manufacture stencils that would be inverted compared to the one on your fount ? as to use as an template on a glass cylinder before sandblasting the glass ? if so, one could create lantern makers logos, on standard size glass cylinders !

Fred,

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That looks fine!:thumbup:

4. Bruce Kuda

Bruce Kuda United States Subscriber

the thickness and stick of the stencils would certainly stand up to frost blasting I think he may even be able to make a negative masque that would allow logo blasting on clear globes-- I'll have to ask