Giving me old Veritas 350 a bit of a fettle.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Cyril Benn, May 19, 2020.

1. Cyril Benn United Kingdom

Well.....a bit more than a fettle really. It was (still is) a bit bent. I stripped It and straightened things out as best as I could, followed by wire brushing all the rusty bits and slapping a coat of rust killer on them after. There is a nasty dent in the top of the tank which makes things sit a bit lopsided. The tank has been over pressurised at some time in it's life and the bottom has bulged, it used to rock about on it when I first got the lamp until I tapped it with a mallet to make it sit straight. SO my question is......Do I cut the bottom out of the tank to get to the dent from inside and then braze it back together, or see if I can find a replacement tank. The other alternative would be to strip it for spares for me other 350...But I would rather restore it back to working order if possible.

Attached Files:

2. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

Hello @Cyril Benn
    I have fettled a few of these veretas 350.
    They are an under rated lantern.
    I would probably spare parts it.
    Unless you have the skill sets to refurbish the tank, it would make for a great fettle.
    You can come across other 350's but the parts are harder to come by.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

In my opinion, that would be most useful as a parts lantern.

4. Cyril Benn United Kingdom

Thank you lads. I've near enough decided to take the best parts from both lamps and make one good one, keeping the left over bits for spares. I've got 32 pressure lamps in total....not a lot, but when you put them with my 100 (ish) hurricane lamps, 50+ stoves, 5 or 6 pressure heaters and getting on for 20 blowlamps.....I think it won't hurt to sacrifice one of me Veritas 350's for spares. Might do the same with me Primus lamps too, one of them isn't complete.

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

That's a Tilltey lantern, surely... ;) :lol:

I've got three incomplete Primus lanterns to give away for spares. I meant to list them today but Veritas Superb shenanigans got in the way. I'll do it tomorrow - there may be something you're interested in, Cyril...

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  6. Cyril Benn United Kingdom

I think the main things I need for the Primus's are spirit cups and globes. Only one of mine has a globe and that's a campingaz one that I had sandblasted to get rid of the logo.

7. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Guess what? - no globes or spirit cups... :doh: