Globe/Glass Size Chart

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Rangie, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Does such a glass size comparison chart exist?
    Has anyone started a spreadsheet on the subject?

I went around my outstanding projects last night, and apart from my P1020 there didn't seem to be any readily available glasses advertised/available for them.

I've measured approx sizes and was planning phoning Basecamp to pester them but thought I would ask here first....

I think it would be a worthwhile exercise to start a spreadsheet! Hytta.de has been of some help.

Alec.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

I have not heard of such a document.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    I’ve not heard of such a beast, either... but I’ve thought about it, because I’ve been on the hunt for obscure glasses (eg for Australian Gloria lanterns).

It’s a complex and multi-dimensional set of measures:

Shape: cylinder; bulge; etc

Length; Width; and in some cases inside and outside diameter.

Then there are the oddities like the hanging lamps.

Some manufactures’ lamps (eg Coleman, Primus, Radius) could have been done already, or will be relatively easy to do. Others will require a fair bit of work.

But I think a good first cut might be to ask Members, by a pinned thread, to contribute to a first-cut of a data base. We could start a “Post your glass size here” thread where we could ask Members to clearly identify: Make; Model; Year (period); Glass Dimensions; Photo.

It would also helpful to include glass dimensions when posting lamps and lanterns in the Reference Gallery.

Tony

4. Digout

Digout Australia Subscriber

I like the idea of adding the dimensions in the Reference Gallery. Good thinking, Tony.

5. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

What about shades? Someone did make a suggestion some time ago that we should have a separate section for shades. I would definitely like to see that.

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    I agree, Jean. But shades are an even more complex beast as they were often made by other companies than the lamp manufacturer. None the less, putting known shade dimensions in with a lamp in the Reference Gallery is a good start.

Cheers

Tony