Goulburn Special Lantern

Discussion in 'Quirk's Victory Light Co, and Goulburn Specials' started by Colin M, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Colin M

Another one of these Goulburn Specials. This was the lantern version.

Curiously has the remains of a decal that is the same format as Kopsen but is illegible.

1292317689-gs_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Colin, have you restored this lantern yet? Jeff.

3. Matty

The hood and cage arrangement looks strikingly similar to a Quirks Lantern circa 1945. This advertisement was published on 13th of October 1945 after Kayen began production. In the sketch the bail arm is positioned differently but that could be artistic licence.

I believe there is a connection between Quirks and AGM but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Trove.

1436080603-quirk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  4. Matty

The more I look into the Goulburn special I start to wonder what the precise mystery is about the lantern. I may well be going off on a tangent that everyone but I am aware of.

Is it that collectors know the parts used but don't know whom assembled them?

5. Graham P Australia

I have been putting some time into this. The wall lamp case is accepted,
    There appears to be some possible link with Quirks Victory and the "Goulburn Special Lantern & Table lamp" (but no positive "Proof"{ Advert pictures found so far are not clear enough) they seem to depict an AGM lantern which bears an external resemblance to our G/S's

Link: http://classicpressurelamps.com/index.php?threads/7449 pricker control can be discerned on a central vaporizer

Link: http://classicpressurelamps.com/index.php?threads/7417

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2018
  6. Matty

Graham,

Thanks for those links, I hadn't seen them.

It seemed clear to me after a few searches that the tops of the lantern/lamps were AGM and the bottom Kayen. So, when it was obvious I thought there must have been something I was missing.

The first Quirk's ad I could find was advertised alongside a Kayen ad by Kopsen.

I imagine that Quirk's would have been effected by the import ban that began in '45. I can see them forming a partnership with Kopsen to have an Australian content made, the founts and have Kopsen assemble them to get around the import bans.

I do believe spare parts for existing lamps were allowed in during the import ban so Quirk's could have imported the upper parts of the lamp claiming them to be spares.

For their lamps to be found around country based Goulburn is no shock as the country areas were given preference of the city during shortages. I suspect that is because the country had less electricity supply and where it was supplied it would have been prone to go offline quite a bit.

The following advert made it clear as to whom's parts were used.

I consulted a collector mate who told me the table lamp was definitely AGM. Once I'd looked at Terry Marshs' site like he suggested and I saw the AGM lamps there it was obvious what parts were used. That's why I started to wonder what the exact mystery was.

Though I didn't look for long, I had seen Quirks were selling the lamps from about '45 to '55 from memory. As I said earlier, the only way Quirk's would have had lamps to sell with the import ban was Kopsen had the founts made then Kopsen assembled them.

1436103703-quirk_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  7. Matty

My collector friend just asked me if Kopsen made the founts, why don't the Kopsen/Nettlefold pumps fit into the Quirk's founts.

My answer to him is because Quirk's could import the pumps as spares. Kopsen only had to modify the pump hole diameter on the founts to accept the AGM pumps.

Previously to him asking, I didn't know the pumps were of a different size.

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    I have just picked up a Quirk (“Goulburn Special”) lamp.

All of my Nettlefold Kayen pumps fit the Quirk (and visa versa.)

Cheers

Tony

Edit: My Kopsen Kayen pumps also fit, as do Tilley pumps.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Look at the thread below to see more information on the subject of pump threads on the Quirk’s, and Nettlefold and Kopsen Kayens. There may well be a difference in the threads of the Nettlefold and Kopsen made tanks.

I’ll re-test all of mine to fully tight on the weekend.

Goulburn Special Founts.

Cheers

Tony