Great deal on a quality torch from Amazon

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Thomas, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Thomas

Thomas Subscriber

While on Amazon the other night I came across a Smith jewelers torch for $35.99 Canadian. I took it out to the shop tonight and did a little work on a blow lamp I picked up.
    20190129_194145.jpg
    20190129_193937.jpg
    Number 5 tip
    20190129_194352.jpg
    Number 1 tip
    20190129_193845.jpg

It did a great job melting the hard solder without over heating the whole work piece.

2. Thomas

Thomas Subscriber

3. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Nice little torch but does it have flash back arrestors?
    Oxy acetylene isn't it? Ah no I see - some different types of gases...
    That explains your cylinder colours maybe.

Looking again I see no anti-backfeed valves either and these are usually a minimum even without flash back arrestors.
    Please check for them - they maybe in the handle - hopefully.

We would like you to keep on posting.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. Thomas

Thomas Subscriber

It should, my flashback arrestors are still mounted on my torch lying on the floor. I will pick up a set of regulator mounted one before I use it again.

5. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Well done! I saw the other torch in the back ground but I couldn't make much out.

I know I should have arrestors on mine but for what I do the price was too much to justify.
    I do run the anti-backfeed valves and I am very careful about the purging on start up and shut down.

If I ever blew up a great big hole that defeated the valves I could be in trouble. Probably as well it sits in the shed most of the time...:content: But then that is a welding issue rather than a brazing and soldering one.

The gas mix issue at start up shut down can happen in any circumstances if not watching the pressures and here is why it is run fuel gas for a while (until what comes out is only that) and then light it first and adjust for a good roaring flame (not like a candle!!).
    Very slowly add the O2 until reaching the perfect mix - a blue cone flame. Never need to increase beyond that - you are not cutting.

Shutdown is the reverse. Starve it of O2, make sure it is completely off.
    The blue flame cone disappears and it lengthens to yellow. Now turn off the fuel gas and it should go out.

I am not writing the how to use here. - Just in case anyone has some bits and pieces already or they buy one of these and experiment. It might allow you to post your next post alive or with your eyebrows.

Any higher qualified bods are free to modify or object - just what I reckon.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019