Handi Kero-Pet

Discussion in 'Handi' started by leo, Mar 24, 2018.

1. leo

leo Germany Subscriber

A few years ago I got this lamp. I just cleaned it roughly, replaced the pump valve and tied up a mantle. I noticed that there are numbers printed on the bottom of the frame. Is this so original? It looks quite modern and I recognize "BHP Z..." and "JAN-200". The surface seems to be galvanized.

Handi Kero-Pet 02.jpg P1160702_kl.JPG P1160706_kl.JPG P1160710_kl.JPG Hi,

2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

That's an interesting globe cage base. What diameter is the glass? I am guessing that someone has made a new base so that standard size glasses can be used. The collar looks to be chrome plated as well. They were originally tin or zink plated.

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day Leo, I haven't seen one like it before. The hole pattern is very different and the pressed center looks more pronounced. Handi ceased production of new lanterns in 1990 . So it wouldn't have been originally on the lantern.
    When Handi Albert purchased the company in 2001 he was making some spare parts, maybe it was one of his plates?

4. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

I agree to Nils: the base plate looks very much DIY. It is rolled, not pressed. And the small holes are drilled, not punched.
    I'm wondering why the handwheel is so near to the plate that it can hardly be operated. Maybe for the reason to hold a larger globe. So my guess ist that they just may just have used a piece of tinned steel sheet that was available to form the plate.

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @leo

Where did you buy it from?

Even though it’s rough, is the lettering hand drilled or stamped?

BHP could be the mining company. ZI could be zinc?

Tony

6. leo

leo Germany Subscriber

The glass has a diameter of approx. 109mm and a height of 115mm.
    A few years ago (~2013) I got the lantern from the widow of an unfamilar collector from southern Germany together with some other lanterns. The supports, or air tubes, seem to be extended, the bushings on the support frame appear handmade.
    Thanks so far for the different hints!

7. peterthevet

I agree with Tony - BHP zincalume (zinc coated steel sheet).

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @peterthevet & @leo

If Pete and I are correct about the metal, it’s likely the modifications were down in Australia.

Cheers

Tony

9. Nils Stephenson

That is close enough to be the standard Px (or clone) glass size. The standard Handi glass is 100mm in diameter (at base and top) and 110mm high. Obviously a different base made to fit the more common glass. I have an idea I have seen these bases at Albert's place the times I have visited him.

This is actually the last style of bushing that was used from 1976 until they closed. The frame was usually plated, but that could have been removed during the modification process. Here is a picture I have borrowed from the net at some stage.
    06.jpg

My info is that they closed production in 1983. I know lamps were made from parts for some time afterwards, but whether they were official production or not I don't know.

10. Lamp_Doctor Australia

Just looking at it the made up pieces look rough base plate holes drilled and not cleaned up .
    If you drill holes you think they drill the other way rough edges hidden inside collar etc .:rage:
    Even the ext bushes look rough sawn burr around top edge.:rage:
    Bob

11. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Nils Stephenson
    G'day Nils, the 1990 date came from the The Handi virtual museum - Timeline . I have no other source apart from my interpretation of these statements. :-# So I'll defer to you're greater knowledge. :lol:

1997, 1st July: Change of ownership, as Vic Tipman takes over the company. All production ceases. Only old existing stock is still being sold.
    1989 to 90: All New production ceases; stoves, lights and irons are still assembled from existing stock and minor parts continue to be manufactured.

12. leo

leo Germany Subscriber

Luckily, I didn't buy a repro glass, it wouldn't have fit. I had recently discovered it here and remembered my Handi Keropet.

So, I guess I have a special lamp, then. I just deburred the drill holes.
    Thank you for your help! Is there any source for spare parts, e.g. the generator?

13. Nils Stephenson

I havn't looked at that website in years. I didn't realise it still existed. I know Albert hasn't done anything about it for a long time, and has no intention of doing so in the future. The date I have is from Albert, who has it from the family who owned Handi, so I'm assuming it is correct. Maybe it was info he got after he set up the website? I've just gone back to look at my info and can't find where I got the 1983 date from. It might have been verbally.

14. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

An interesting find!:thumbup: