Handi KeroPet - late model - QR

Discussion in 'Handi' started by Nils Stephenson, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

This is a late version of the Handi KeroPet. This one was ordered by Queensland Railways, hence the tag with QR and the broad arrow. This lantern was set up for running kerosene.

1285591317-Handi_QR_front.jpg

1285591317-Handi_QR_front.jpg 1285591326-Handi_QR_back.jpg 1285591338-Handi_QR_label.jpg 1285591348-Handi_QR_tag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Matty

Nils,

I'd seen the above quote by you a number of times and wondered how you set one up to run on kero or how you knew it was set up to run on kero.

I finally had a Handi, that I've owned for many months, actually get to my home so I could look at it and study the accompanying paper work.

The original 'Directions for operating the HANDI Kero-Pet LANTERN Model 3' came with the lamp and are in almost as new condition.

As an aside, I can't recall seeing the Handi 'Model 3" determination before.

In those instructions there is a section for how to operate on petrol and a separate section for how to operate on kero.

Further, there is the following heading with information underneath.

SHOULD YOU DESIRE TO USE PETROL AS A FUEL.

It is only necessary to change the Generator Nipple L216A for L216B and the Generator Filter L214A for L214B, and we recommend SHELLITE

It seems to me that the lamps came in the box set up to use kero.

The operating instructions have a complete parts list with parts No's but only diagrams for the kero set up parts.

As an aside, I can't recall seeing the Handi 'Model 3" determination before.

As well as the lamp operating instructions there was a pamphlet (drawings and text) advertising the Handi Lamp.

Another pamphlet advertising (drawings and text) 'THE NEW HANDI - KEROSENE OPERATED - Stovette and Porcelain Enamel Oven.

A further pamphlet (Drawings and text) titled -
    INTRODUCING The HANDI DOMESTIC PRESSURE STOVE.

It's a shame I can't find a date on any of the documents as it would have helped date the lamp and the above stoves etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  3. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

The only difference between a kerosene Handi and a petrol handi is the generator bits and the label on the collar. They came from the factory set up for one or the other. The instructions were different too as the kerosene instructions had a blue front and the petrol ones a red front. Not very smart as it is exactly opposite to the colours used on the label.

"Model 3" has been discussed a few times with no proven result. The most likely reason is that there were two versions of the SwiftLite before the KeroPet came around, making it the third model.

4. Matty

Do we have a date when the Kero-Pet began?

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I've two Handi Keropets - one user and one unlit (although apparently left in its box in a dunny for about 15 years :doh: ).

The fastest priming kero lantern I've ever used although I don't get it out too often due to the rarity of the globe... =;