handy tip on buffing ! from the Camp Wounded Dog Workshop

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Bruce Kuda, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Bruce Kuda

Bruce Kuda United States Subscriber

you dont have to invest a fortune in buffing equipment if you only have a few projects-- here's a set up I made for getting into nooks and crannies that my big buffing wheels can't do--

dont throw out those old blue jeans-- denim is a sturdy material that will make excellent buffing wheels-- mark and cut circles out of the old jeans-- I use a little shot of spray adhesive in the center of each to hold them together until I set the axel in place-- I use a 1/4 20 carriage bolt and a couple large washers on each side-- screw the nut down as tight as you can then peen the thread behind the nut to keep the nut from rotating loose and from unraveling the pad -- making sure your fabric circles are as concentric as possible gives a better tool-- but if you do have some eccentric swabs you can always cut them back into line-- as always-- any home made thing is the responsibility of the builder to make sure its safe !! ~~ a tip from the Camp Wounded Dog Workshop !!

2. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Bruce Kuda

A fantastic tip and great video.

Just one question, when buffing do you wear the jockstrap to stop yourself from squeaking? :lol:

Regards Jeremy

3. Alex74

Alex74 United Kingdom Subscriber

Great idea.

thanks for sharing. I’d be inclined to wear some ear defenders too if you’re going to use the drill for longer than a minute or two. A bench grinder / polisher is normally quiet but a drill is bound to get on your nerves after a while!

4. Bruce Kuda

Just one question, when buffing do you wear the jockstrap to stop yourself from squeaking? :lol:

Regards Jeremy[/QUOTE]

well when the shine starts to come out in all its glory it can be exciting in a sick twisted way--- lol

5. Bruce Kuda

yes ear plugs or muffs when doing a lot of polishing with your drill-- I only use it for little nooks and crannys-- I have big buffers for larger jobs !!

buffing stations 004.JPG

6. george

george United States Subscriber

What a great tip! Now if only I can get SWMBO to cut out the fabric circles.....
    :-k

7. AussiePete

AussiePete United States Subscriber

@george
    A box of chocolates works wonders ;)

8. george

george United States Subscriber

Yeah.... never thought about that....:mrgreen: