Happy birthday, Trevor (Shagratork)...

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by David Shouksmith, Nov 21, 2020.

1. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

This is the place for those members who got one of Trevor's lamps, heaters or stoves to show it - either working or not working - as a tribute for what would have been his 71st birthday.

I'd have liked to have started the ball rolling myself but the lantern I got has so far defied all attempts to have it running. I'll give it a good talking-to tomorrow morning and, if necessary, administer a severe thrashing and see if that causes it to mend its ways - bah... [-X :whistle:

2. Fiona Farrell

Fiona Farrell Ireland Subscriber

Happy Birthday Trevor.I thought I replied to your message this morning David but it never went.Sorry about that.
    Hope you get the lamp glowing,no bother to you.
    Kind regards,
    Fiona

3. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

Although I never knew Trevor I was lucky enough to purchase this Tilley FL6 from him via David.

Tilley FL6

I won't re-post the photographs here but I will post after dark when it gets an airing. I hope he approves.

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Miss you Old Fella (said the near-70-year-old youngster). Blessings on you, you’ll have lit up Heaven with your chat - and the odd lantern if needed.

A favourite lantern of yours here has me as its custodian now and it’s become my favourite.

Radius 119 ‘cook top’

A good helping of fuel (2/3)

17D592FC-E19F-422C-A27B-850A1B209055.jpeg

Priming

EAEC25C8-92D3-4477-A746-DDC1FC2414D5.jpeg

British Summer Time (meaning it’s bright)

0B3747DA-B923-4F71-AE63-7DA0B308BCB4.jpeg

John

5. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Nearly all the lamps I have come with a story. These three will always be "Trevor's lamps". Hopefully one will be visible from "upstairs"

Corner.jpg

Inline.jpg
    Warmup.jpg
    lightup.jpg
    M1.jpg
    FireBowl.jpg
    550.jpg

6. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

I never knew Trevor, but thanks to David I can now say I’m custodian of 2 of his lamps. A 1974 M1 (NOS) this will stay unlit at least for sometime. Then a “military bitza” as described...:-k....1975 presume a 305, doesn’t look like this has had much use, possible test fired only. The tank was scuffed with some paint chipping off so I decided to give it a respray, hope Trevor doesn’t mind....[-o<.... As we are lighting lamps to celebrate the passing of loved ones I have also lit my AL15A as previous owned and used by the late Peter McCall, whom some of you will know from the rally fields along with his favourite pint pot. Sadly it’s raining here in the Steel City so a garage light up it is...
    7B34D104-E89E-4C5F-BE6F-992F341E2028.jpeg E6D22362-DE36-4E9A-833A-D1277A455080.jpeg F26485A2-1E3F-4C32-8736-8E0E95839728.jpeg E4925D34-1CDC-46BD-8535-B216A7DFDBA1.jpeg 469FE9EB-7AE2-4872-8F6F-EB75B16F854E.jpeg B0C61604-DBB3-4998-9B76-0BE3C75FB7E1.jpeg D7F6865E-05CE-4274-97B0-CBA38F4C565D.jpeg F5A8AFDE-DF64-4C74-9F63-213408A449D2.jpeg

7. R100

As promised, my tribute to Trevor and his lamps. Hope this makes him smile.

FL6 Light up.jpg

8. kl80

Here is my 220E that was part of Trevors collection. Its done very little and is in lovely condition.

coleman 220E.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2020
  9. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's working well!:thumbup:

10. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

@R100 , A very well lit yard!:thumbup::thumbup:

11. Gareth Shepherd

Gareth Shepherd United Kingdom Subscriber

Here is the Vapalux 320 of Trevors. I never knew him, but I'm pleased I got one of his lamps. She needed very little fettling, just the usual seals. It will be cherished in the collection and will be in regular use.

20201122_194657.jpg 20201122_194920.jpg 20201122_195058.jpg 20201122_195144.jpg

12. Tom Pedersen

Tom Pedersen Denmark Subscriber

A candle for Trevor from Denmark.
    I did not know Trevor, but have greatly enjoyed his post
    here at CPL.
    Tom
    IMG_20200929_204552.jpg

13. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Not from Trevor's collection but three of his favourites, Radius 119 with cook top, Bialaddin bowlfire and an all brass Optimus 1200

DSCN0605 (2).JPG

14. george United States

Grand tribute to a fine person.

15. David Shouksmith

It's a bit of a tale but bear with me!

Just over five years ago, Trevor and I entertained one of our members, Juan, and his family to a day out on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and Whitby:-

Visiting Uk during september | Classic Pressure Lamps & Heaters

Juan's family.jpg

Here we are (except Juan who took the picture) on an open-topped tourist bus in Whitby. We later took Juan and his family for a traditional fish and chip meal, including that Northern delicacy, mushy peas. We knew they'd be novel for a family from Argentina but we'd assumed cod and chips would be altogether more familiar. This proved to be completely wrong when it turned out in conversation that they lived 1000km from the sea! However, they did seem to enjoy the meal, including bread and butter as well as cups of Yorkshire tea. A great day was had by all!

Anyway, a couple of months later, Trevor and I received completely unexpected parcels from Argentina. These proved to contain lanterns the likes of which we'd never seen before. Mine was a beautiful unlit Radiosol which I won't ever spoil by lighting and Trevor's was a lovely Amyl lantern, very similar to the Radiosol. As it had been lit before, we determined to fettle it and discussed doing so many, many times over the years. Unfortunately like so many of our plans, we just never got round to doing it. :-& :cry:

When I was helping Trevor's son clear out Trevor's garage we came across the 'lantern from Argentina' and Daniel thought it was appropriate for me to have a go at getting it running as a remembrance of his Dad and also of a great day out. So here we are:-

IMGP5495.JPG

Seen here late this afternoon running outside without its globe which I didn't want to risk. It took a little bit of fettling to get going but eventually succumbed to my gentle ministrations and finally burst into life. It's a quirky thing with its brown enamel hood, spherical pump-knob and cranky little pricker control which works around the 4.30 position for some reason! I originally had it fitted with an Optimus No. 4 mantle which was very bright - eye-dazzlingly so - but developed a couple of holes. I replaced it with a Red Heart mantle which isn't as bright but still stops me seeing properly for a good 20 minutes or so. Many thanks, Juan and Trevor for this fantastic lantern! :thumbup: :D/ :D

In fettling the lantern, I had the pleasure of using Trevor's set of concentric punches, complete with his measurements for a number of seals:-
    IMGP5496.JPG
    Oh what a joy to use compared with single punches!

Finally, my insurance policy in case the lantern proved recalcitrant:-
    IMGP5487.JPG
    ...a Swedish 'Kokutrustning' military stove set-up complete with regulated silent burner. I've no idea what Trevor planned to do with this but I can tell you it's certainly no back-packing stove! This one isn't mine and I'm hoping it's going to a new home soon... [-o<

Happy birthday, Trevor - I miss you, matey... :-&

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  16. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    I miss my occasional conversations with Trevor, too!

Go well, mate.

Tony

17. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

Hi Trevor,
    I,m a bit late. And never met you personally.
    But keep your memory with Lantern and Bowlfire from you.
    See us from above.
    IMG_20201125_214618.jpg

18. David Shouksmith

Just a quick update for those who received one of Trevor's lanterns, bowlfires etc...

Firstly, may I thank everyone who has participated in this venture in any way - it's been great to see Trevor's lanterns up and running as appropriate. I saw Trevor's son, Daniel last evening and he told me his dad's birthday was actually on the 6th of November so we missed it by a couple of weeks - d'oh!. Never mind, better late than never, eh.

Secondly, your kind donations to charity have amounted to the magnificent sum of £1,105 raised so far. This will be going to the British Heart Foundation in due course i.e. when we've dealt with Trevor's stove collection as well. There will be news of the disposal of that over at CCS later today.

Cheers...

19. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Well done, David.

Cheers

Tony

20. george United States

Fine job, David.

21. R100

It's great that you received such an excellent response from members on here. thanks David for all the hard work you put in to packing and sending the lamps. Hope you now have a little more room at Shouksmith Towers.

22. David Shouksmith

Not that you'd notice, Bob! I've four further lanterns to pack and send off in the next couple of days - two of Trevor's and two of mine - but the six huge boxes of bubblewrap have now mostly gone from the dining room so that's a bit of a relief... :D/

23. redspeedster United Kingdom

You've done a great job David. :clap:

24. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

One of Trevor's Bialaddin Bowlfire, fettled and back to work.
    Runs for 6h now.
    Righthand.
    IMG_20201206_005746.jpg