Hasag 351L in steel

Discussion in 'HASAG' started by MarkC, Mar 5, 2018.

1. MarkC

MarkC Subscriber

Here are some pics of a lamp I found recently.
    Been hangjng a long time and badly beaten before it was put away.

Looks like a 351L but there are no markings.

Glass of course is long gone. Pricker wheel has been taken from somewhere else, ceramic burner is broken and the top filial also looks to be a replacement.
    Fount and cap appear to be painted steel as seen by layers of corrosion.

I'm guessing it was a wartime build. The green paint suggests army. Found in Estonia.

IMG-20180304-WA0002.jpg IMG-20180304-WA0003.jpg IMG-20180304-WA0007.jpg Was the handle replacement due to a war injury? The mind boggles
    IMG-20180304-WA0008.jpg IMG-20180304-WA0009.jpg IMG-20180304-WA0010.jpg IMG-20180304-WA0011.jpg IMG-20180304-WA0012.jpg IMG-20180304-WA0013.jpg
    This old soldier had a pretty girlfriend to keep him company over the last few decades. Found with a Hasag 42 IMG-20180304-WA0005.jpg

2. george United States

It looks like a Hasag to me..:-k No expert on these...Since it was found in Estonia it makes me think German army (1939-1945). Stretching it a bit but maybe the Soviet army? If it's one of the Hasags made in the former East Germany (DDR) - Soviet forces comes to mind. Boy, can I spread the bullsh..!:clap:

3. george United States

Steel... German forces, WW II.:-k

4. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

As I wrote in another post I don't really believe that it's a Hasag lantern... However, somebody would know more about that lantern I'd much appreciate that information.

5. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

Same here, don´t think it´s a Hasag lantern, could be a variant of the later Mewa 351 as the color seems to be similar, but all in all to much small parts differs in detail, and the most strange detail is the glass globe frame / cage since all Hasags i have ever seen uses round pins between the lower and the upper parts of the cage, not flat steel as on this one ( Coleman 220 style )

Fred,

6. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

7. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

Yes Ditmar was my thought, another thing that could give a hint is the very special fuel lid, if we can find that style on another kind of lantern, it might help to figure this one out.

8. MarkC

MarkC Subscriber

Would pics from any other angle help? I can add more.
    The nut securing the hat is frozen for the time being. I might be able to persuade my wife to get the oil can out and work on it a bit.......:lol:

9. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

That'll be the day ! Lol !

10. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

That lantern surely has some similarities to Ditmar (and also to Eugen Schatz, as Neil already mentioned). But still there are too many differences to both of them on many parts, so I don't believe it's any of them.
    For me the photos are OK, and more information would only be gained if it were taken apart and the bits & pieces photographed in detail. I've already seen an identical lantern earlier even with a "Hasag" paper sticker on its fount, but I still believe that it is more a "clone" because I've not seen it in any available paperwork yet. Here are a few pictures I had stored already on my PC:
    $(KGrHqR,!pwFJetO5fiEBS,4GJkCy!~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqV,!rMFJj5dC!4zBS,4EvvHOw~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqV,!psFJjONbuH-BS,4FjS4l!~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16JHJIEFHSqkN8-wBS,4FN8O3g~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqVHJFIFJOovYnVWBS,4Hj4rb!~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16F,!)MFIbyBZu43BS,4G60s5Q~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16h,!yQFIirb4UQ5BS,4Gg86!Q~~60_57.JPG

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  11. MarkC

MarkC Subscriber

Well spotted @Martin K.
    Looks exactly the same. Thanks for those pics can now see the wheel and top nut are meant to be like this.
    Although one of us has the nut on upside down:lol:
    You also have a Hasag filling cap. Mine looks like the top of a sauce bottle.

I was thinking about ordering a glass from hytta.de. What dimensions is your lamp? Would a standard 351L glass suit?

12. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

Unfortunately I don't own that lantern:(, so can only guess about the glass size. But if it is the same size like Hasag 351L (which is very likely) it should be the h 122mm x Ø 122mm type. But the one on my pictures still has more similarities to an original 351L or a Mewa from the "VEB Leipziger Werke" than yours.
    The material of the wheel makes me wonder which age those lanterns could be. To me it looks like a bleached piece of plastic that was surely not available before the war.

13. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

Ok, great now we have two, after seeing these both, my guess is that it is a lantern type assembled during or just after WWII, maybe Eugen Schatz had something to do with this one.
    Could be that he used parts available during these harsh times.

14. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

This lantern is now in the U.K. and after a bit of fettling, it looks like this:

Hasmar A01.JPG

Hasmar A03.JPG

Henry.

15. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  16. MarkC

MarkC Subscriber

Great job. I have been meaning to ask how it was going.
    Well done

17. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well saved Henry!:thumbup::thumbup:

18. Reinhard Germany

@Henry Plews
    Congratulation ,the lamp has become beautiful.:thumbup::D/

I can Identify some parts.
    1.)The tank comes from a 2nd generation MEWA. You can see it at the bad weld.
    2.)The collar comes from a HASAG 351L.From an older one.You can see it at the short slots (vents)
    3.)The design of the support frame I know only from Ditmar.
    4.)The preheater ist exceptional .
    Ecceptional because it's a mix of Ditmar and MEWA.
    5.)The larger sieve of the preheater still has the big diameter.As well as Hasag 351L or MEWA 1st generation.
    6.)The generator comes from a Hasag 351L or from a MEWA of the first generation.
    7.)The burner comes from a Mewa second generation.
    8.)The hood cap comes from a MEWA.

Regards,Reinhard

19. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2019