1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hasag 51 Sunflower (vacuum oil company)

Discussion in 'HASAG' started by Michel, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Michel

Michel France Subscriber

Hi all
    here is a lamp I had on the barn for a while
    I decided to give it a little clean
    If I read well all the threads, this lamp is from 1926 to 1931
    It is given for 300 CP but a peerless 500 fits very good
    the font is stamped "only use kerosene)
    but here it is running with gasoline without any problem

IMG_7011.JPG IMG_7013.JPG IMG_7016.JPG IMG_7021.JPG IMG_7023.JPG

2. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 South Africa Subscriber

Somerset West, near Cape Town, South Africa
    A rare find, Michel! I have a Sunflower Vacuum Oil Co. brass discus Primus type stove that was made by Radius.

3. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Denmark Founder Member

Sunflower oil have obviously used a number of different manufacturers. My Radius 120 (here) is also stamped. Interesting to see that they shopped around for different suppliers. The Radius would be from about 1931, so maybe they used Hasag first, then changed to Radius?

4. Martin K.

Martin K. Germany Subscriber

On some of the Hasag 51A lantern fount bottoms a stamping can be found which tells the age:
    06100003a.jpg
    BTW: the heat shield on Michel's Sunflower makes me guess that it could also run safely on gasoline/petrol even though it ist stamped "for Kerosene".

5. Michel

Michel France Subscriber

yes Martin, I made this lamp work with gasoline or kerosene with equal happiness
    I think the Vacuum advocated kerosene because they produced it, that's all

A small history of the company :
    In the 1920s, the New York-based refinery "Vaccum Oil Company" produced kerosene (among other products) which sold under the "Sunflower" brand.

In July 1931, the Vacuum Oil Company and Socony merged, Standard Oil Company of New York, becoming Socony Vacuum Corp., name later changed to Mobil Oil Corporation in 1955, then Esso and finally Exxon. The Vacuum Oil Company is nothing but one of the grandmothers of the world's leading oil industry.

Clearly to promote the consumption of its production, the Vacuum Oil Company has ordered by several manufacturers, especially European, pressure and wick lamps,
    heaters, stoves that she then sold under her name alone. Among its subcontractors, we find in particular the Portuguese Hipolito (stove Hipolito N ° 2), the Swedish Radius (Radius lamp 120), the German Hasag (Hasag lamp 51). All these devices carry the same commercial listings. The manufacturer's mark is missing and only the mention of the country of manufacture remains: made in Portugal, Sweden, Germany ...

No stamping on the lamp but this logo

IMG_7033.JPG

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A splendid find indeed!:thumbup::thumbup: