Health & Safety Section

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback & Problems' started by george, Jan 5, 2021.

1. george United States

Has anyone given any thought to a "Health & Safety" section here in the lounge? We have what seems like a lot of people out there trying to reduce the gene pool and maybe, just maybe it might warn one of these knuckle draggers they are about to commit "indirect suicide"! Just a thought...That youtube entry (now pulled) would wake most people up, but then maybe they think, "were do I go for the right advice?" Right here!
    Just a thought...

2. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

@george

It sounds like a very good idea, but it is too little and way to late to do any good.

Cheers,
    Norman

3. george United States

@Norman never to late to learn, my friend. If one individual can be "saved" then I think we have made some progress.
    Education is the key here.
    One of the very first non-Coleman pressure lanterns I collected about 30-35 years ago was a European kerosene model. I knew nothing about it and never even thought about using kerosene under pressure. Believe me, after putting gasoline in the lantern and attempting to light it, and singeing my eyebrows off and damn near setting my hair (yeah, I had hair at the time) on fire, I was totally baffled... no where to turn, no internet in those days. If only there was some place I could go to for help. I finally found it... an advert for a Coleman kerosene lantern! I figured that European lantern was kerosene fueled! Ah yes, the idiot found a new village!
    I figure if we place what we know here on various fuels for pressure it's in one place for everyone to read.
    :-k

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Unfortunately, there seems to be a large percentage of the human population who see no need or have no desire for education. They seem to think that education ended the day they left school - or, more likely, years before that...

5. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Didn't @Mackburner write something like this?

I'm sure I have seen some sort of thing about 'staying alive' or 'living longer' ?

It was very good reading :thumbup:

6. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

7. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

That's the one !

Thanks @ROBBO55 :thumbup:

Can we vote for this to be put somewhere prominent?.. Or is it there already and I just can't see it for looking?](*,)

8. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I wonder if it is possible/desirable to send/include that link as part of the "welcome to the board email" ?

9. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

I don't like pointers, and besides many who register as a new member are already "in the business".
    Better to just simply direct those who obviously need more information to Neil's article.

I made it a "Sticky", so it will always be on top in the articles section where it is now, and thus easy to find when needed.
    However, that's in the subscribers section, so I might duplicate it to an open area (as a sticky in the regular Pressure lamps discussion forum), if Neil doesn't have anything to object.

@Mackburner

10. MYN

Its a good idea and well-intended.
    Just like in many instruction manuals for any product, the Health & Safety section usually comes first.
    Unfortunately, I notice that the section is more often skipped than not. (Or rather, the entire instruction manual is just put aside or thrown away and with the product being used straight away).

11. george United States

Some people seem to think instructions don't apply to them, and this is where people get into trouble!
    I guess I'm a hoarder but I never throw away any instructions, lanterns or otherwise.

12. David Shouksmith

For some folk, it's a 'man thing' - reading the instructions is a sign of weakness and indicates someone who is not in control. My father was a prime example... :roll: ](*,)

13. MYN

On others, the instructions are read ONLY after one fails to get something working.
    Many still find reading them to be a chore because its often so detailed and lengthy. Or perhaps the printings are too tiny to be legible. Or they are not available in the language that he or she could understand.

14. george United States

I suppose running around with your hair on fire is a "man thing"?! I'll pass!

15. David Shouksmith

Not in this country, George - I can't speak for yours, though... ;) :lol:

16. george United States

17. Scott D

Scott D United Kingdom Subscriber

I never saw this article when I joined and it would have been really helpful. Disagree that new members will always have some baseline knowledge when the join the forum. I didn’t and for the most part still don’t have a clue what I’m doing even 6 months and 12 lanterns in. It has been a steep learning curve.