Help! Collection of old Tilley lamps

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by littlelamplight, Oct 24, 2018.

1. littlelamplight

I live here in Orkney on a farm, mains power didn't come here till the early 90s so alot of still usable Tilley lamps around. I've collected lamps for about a decade and now I put a advert in local provisions merchant window for them, I've been given loads, I'm looking for a new reflector for a il34 and also I've got four steel tanked ex RAF pl53s that still work but need new paint, does any one no the colour? Thanks in advance fellow fetters.

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

The link below shows relevant information.

PL52-PL53-PL54

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @littlelamplight

Look out! You might be invaded by collectors from the big island to the south.

Tony

4. littlelamplight

I've heard of them mainlanders, they polish and fettle all in there path! I'm always up for swaps.. just been given a il34 that needs a new reflector if any one has any ideas, and I need to know about a finish I've seen on my pl53s, I'm not sure if it's original or not.. any help grateful.

5. littlelamplight

Thank you! Nothing better than the smell of brasso and paraffin in the morning..

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @littlelamplight

Yes... I know about mainlanders as well.

Careful with the Brasso. It has a reasonably high concentration of ammonia that leaches zinc from the brass. See if you can get your hands on “Autosol”. I buy it in kilo tins.

Cheers,

Tony

7. littlelamplight

I'll look into autosol cheers mate.

8. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @littlelamplight I'm on the mainland staying in Glenfinnan. The paint I used on my steel tank Vapalux was this... IMG_20181028_140613.jpg

But if it's a silver colour like mine...
    IMG_20181028_140751.jpg

Then any standard silver should do.

If you're passing through any time, pop in for a cuppa or a dram! I have a few lanterns myself!

IMG_20181028_141049.jpg IMG_20181028_141044.jpg IMG_20181028_141038.jpg

9. littlelamplight

Ta very much, cheers Colin. I've peeled of the old sticker and it's like a duck egg blue. With a black bottom. I'm trying to upload pics.

10. littlelamplight

This is mine after I stripped it. Not a bit of rust in it out if tank.

IMG_20181025_173241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2018
  11. littlelamplight

Paint shop analysed the colour and this is what they come up with they will make me two cans for price of one. I'll send you a can down.

ba8c37597ce6370ca43462ab2bf92e82.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2018
  12. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks! I have an original steel pump but when I got it (separately from the tank and bail) it was seized solid and will need some work before it'll pressurize anything! This inner surface that should seal one side of the washer is really chewed up and I'll need to take it to a lathe to turn it down flat again! I'm resigned to it being a very long term project as I'll need a new globe and maybe even a burner with air buttons!

13. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Tony Press, after reading about you using “Autosol”, I went and got some. Tried it and, yes it works very well. Thanks for sharing the tip.
    Cheers
    Peter

14. littlelamplight

I've got a good burner with buttons and good the hood has seen better days but burner and buttons are A1.

15. Reese Williams

I realize that colors on different monitors are going to show a bit differently but that looks a bit too blue for RAF blue to me. Try polishing a small patch of the lantern with some rubbing compound or other mildly abrasive polish and see if it's darker. Oxidized paint will be lighter and that may be what you matched with. Also look at some plastic modeler's sites and check what the model paint companies put out as RAF blue. I have a RAF lantern that is considerably darker and greyer that the color sample you posted.

16. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

@Reese Williams
    That is not the right way to go because model paint are usually made for the scale they are intended to be used for.
    If you paint a full scale model compared with a small scale model with the same paint they will look completely different.

Michael