Help needed please in Ireland

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Fiona Farrell, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Fiona Farrell

Fiona Farrell Ireland Subscriber

Hello all,
    I am new to this site and relatively new to pressure lamps.
    I have been lighting my Petromax Rapid lamp and my Tilley lamp every morning and evening off the past few weeks.
    Roger,the man I bought my Tilley lamp from has helped me a lot and Bommels notes.
    I would love to find someone here in Ireland to help.
    My Petromax HK 250 lamp was working great but I want to check the vaporiser for a possible leak and the Rapid preheater may need to be cleaned.

Kind regards,
    Fiona

20201114_192954.jpg 20201112_223808.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2020
  2. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Fiona! Welcome to CPL! :)

There are some folks from Ireland so perhaps they can help you?

Great looking lamps there!:thumbup:

Good luck with the fettle : )

3. Fiona Farrell

Thanks so much pod bros,thanks for the welcome.
    I am not so good at all the names of the parts and all the technical stuff but am learning.
    My Petromax hk250 rapid lamp was working great but I think there is a leak from the vaporiser and the Rapid preheater may need to be cleaned.
    I could do with some help with this.
    Thanks so much.
    Have a great Sunday,
    Fiona

4. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome from me too. Sorry I can't help but Ive no experience with those lamps but I'm sure someone will be along soon and who does know them.

5. eiremax

eiremax Subscriber

Hi Fiona. Regarding your assumed leak, remove all fuel and pressurise the tank. Submerge in water. Any leak if present it should be obvious.
    Preheater is a simple service, disassemble, clean it ensuring that all vent/fuel holes are clear. You may need a replacement crush lead washer for this task.

By the way, your lantern looks large for a 250HK. It may just be the angle at which the photograph was taken. Also always remember to ventilate the space in which the lantern is being used for obvious reasons.

Trusted parts suppliers are

Petromax Petroleum-Starklichtlampen Ersatzteile

STUGA-CABAÑA 2020: Der faire Internetshop mit über 20 Jahren Tradition. HYTTA.DE Petroleumlampen - Petroleum - Eisenwaren - Haushaltswaren

6. Fiona Farrell

Thanks so very much R100.
    Have a good Sunday.
    I'm off to get my Christmas tree today.
    Fiona

7. Fiona Farrell

Thank you very much Eiremax.
    Have a good day..hopefully drier than yesterday!
    Will try that,I need a few tools possibly and must read Bommels notes.
    That advice is for a paraffin leak right?
    Kind regards,
    Fiona

8. Fiona Farrell

9. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

@Fiona Farrell

Hi Fiona and welcome from the Scottish Highlands. You’ve got some good lamps and great to see they’re getting used too!
    There’s lots of information on the site, the reference sections will help you. Lots of knowledge here too, don’t be afraid to ask! Two years ago I didn’t know one end of a pressure lamp from the other, so you’re not alone there!

Good luck with your fettling, Stevie

10. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

11. Alex74

Alex74 United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Fiona,

nice lamps and cosy cottage there. Welcome to the forum!

12. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi Fiona,

Welcome aboard from the USA.

You have some very nice looking lamps and lanterns.

If you are having problems reading German you can use Chrome Web Browser which will automatically translate the web sites above into English.

Cheers,
    Norman

13. Fiona Farrell

Thanks so much Stevie,I will try to fix my Petromax lamps and will ask questions.
    At least I am able to light them and change the mantle but as regards valves and disassembling and reassembling,I find that a bit daunting.I am not that technical.I bought a Petromax HK500 fairly new lamp from a man from Tipi Ireland and that got me started.I realised that older versions were probably made better so I bought a few.
    I also have two Voigtlander Perkeo 1 cameras from the 1950s,hens and a rooster,a clocking hen at the moment and a solid fuel rayburn and aga cooker.
    Never a dull moment here.
    But I will try to clean the Rapid preheater and see if there is a leak in the vaporiser.
    Good night,
    Fiona

14. Fiona Farrell

Thanks so much Jeff

15. Fiona Farrell

Thanks Alex,my aga is like a furnace..the fire barrel was red hot when I filled it with anthracite.
    Goodnight,
    Fiona

16. Fiona Farrell

Thanks so much Norman.
    Blessings from Ireland.
    It is more the technical names of parts and reading the technical notes by Bommel on the Pelam.de forum are hard work.
    Also annoying that most Petromax new parts are made in China nowadays.

17. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

I do understand what you are saying when it comes to purchasing new parts for some of these lanterns due to the inferior parts available to us.

If you can find New Old Stock parts which is the way to go but these parts tend to be far more expensive but in the long run these NOS parts will last many times longer.

Norman

18. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Hello Fiona and welcome.

Another good parts supplier is www.base-camp.co.uk You may be able to save a little on postage.

19. Keith Warby

Keith Warby United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Fiona, welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about petromax lamps but your tilley looks great and nice to see it burning brightly.

Slightly concerned about the large knife in the foreground - do you have threaten it first before lighting?

Keith

20. Fiona Farrell

Hello Eiremax,
    I found a small air leak under the pump on this lamp when submerged in water.Also when out of the water,some air hissed from the tip(nozzle?) of the vapouriser(long stem in the body of the lamp and some fuel and water came out.
    I did the same with another Petromax lamp to check for leaks and a lot of bubbles came from the same place(under the pump).
    Is the problem with that valve(#10?) in at the bottom of the tank that you need a long screw driver to open?
    Will check the rapid preheater and try to remove and clean it too.But the only air bubbles came from under the pump.Not much on this lamp,but on the other one,there was a lot of bubbles.
    Goodnight,
    Fiona

21. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Hello Fiona,

In a word, yes. It is most likely the rubber seal (also called "pip") has failed. Referring to Bommels notes Restoration of a PETROMAX 829 Lantern

There is no need buy #17, you get much better value for money from the Fettlebox. Simply dig out the old pip and push a new one into the little brass cup.
    NRV 4mm Pip - VITON. Pack of 5

The original lead seal may still work but it does no harm to have a few spare ones Non-return Valve Washer. Lead. Pack of 3
    These do the same job but are made from a synthetic material
    Non-return Valve Washer. HDPE. Pack of 3

Refer again to Bommel's notes and immediately below "pump check valve" (also called non return valve or simply N.R.V.), you'll see what is usually refered to as the "foot valve" (for obvious reasons). Again, the seal will have failed and a new #193 is needed. You need to remove the vapouriser to fix this and a new seal will be needed when you reassemble the lantern, the proper way is to use a new lead seal (although now-a-days an "O" ring made from a spcial synthetic material is available - (90) elastischer O-Ring - 500 HK · temperaturbeständig -30°C bis 200° C from Detailseite: Ersatzteil- und Zubehörliste "Petromax 500 HK, Geniol 500 HK und Hipolito 500 HK) or simply wind a few turns of P.T.F.E. round the threads before screwing it back in.

22. Alex74

Alex74 United Kingdom Subscriber

Oh wowww! You have an Aga stove! I love those. Bet you can cook like a pro on that. Very jealous!

23. Fiona Farrell

Thanks so much Keith,that knife I got in the meat factory I work in as a temporary veterinary inspector.
    I do a lot of cooking!!
    Have a lovely evening
    Fiona

24. Fiona Farrell

Thanks so much Henry for the warm welcome and all your help.
    I will try to do this.
    I took apart my new(last few years) Petromax HK500 lamp but it isn't fully reassembled and am struggling with the vaporiser and needle and control knob.
    This other Petromax lamp in the photo is the one I emptied and found a small air leak.I have a total of 4 Petromax lamps but must repair them now.
    So that other foot valve is below the NRV? and I need to remove the entire vapouriser(with needle inside) to access it?
    I printed off Bommels notes but found it hard work to do it and kind of gave up.
    But all of the members here are so helpful,I will try again.
    So I get those parts on this website?
    On the fettlebox?
    I am thankful my Tilley lamp is working.
    Thanks so much.
    Have a lovely evening,
    Fiona

25. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Fiona,
    May I ask whereabouts in your beautiful country you are based?

No, of course I don't mean your address! I had the pleasure of visiting the Republic two or three times a year both for work and leisure for over twenty years and made some lovely friends and keep some wonderful memories.

The waterways were my favourite means of transport, but I was happy travelling by any means.

26. Fiona Farrell

Yes Alex,just got it in this summer,I took out an all gas rangemaster and put in an original,reconditioned 1950s solid fuel aga,it isn't plumbed in,but my solid fuel rayburn is and I have a condenser oil boiler too.
    But I am only running my aga right now.Big saucepan on top for washing clothes and having a bath,I have a clothes drying rack.The aga gets that hot that the plastic feet on the clothes rack melted!
    I recorded a temperature of at least 300*c with an oven thermometer in the top oven on the middle shelf.
    I love the older ways..
    Have a lovely evening.
    Please God I can meet up with all the members of Classic Pressure lamps next year.
    Fiona

27. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Fiona,
    There is a lamp and stove site www.base-camp.co.uk if you click on the link and look for Magnalux lanterns there is an exploded view of one.. Similar to Petromax and may help with picturing things?

Good luck with everything:thumbup:

28. Fiona Farrell

Hello R100
    I live in County Cavan but am from Cork.
    I live in a peaceful,rural place.I have a small farm with hens and a rooster,JRT pup and two cats.
    Donkey and goat shelter is nearly ready,so hoping to get donkeys next year from the sanctuary and Old Irish goats as soon as there are enough of them that the society can sell me two females..
    A rare Irish or English breed of pig and cow too when I have a shed built,hopefully.
    What part of Ireland did you visit?
    Kind regards,
    Fiona

29. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Hi Fiona
    Welcome from Queensland Australia. Nice lanterns and I’m looking forward to reading your future posts.
    Cheers
    Pete

30. Fiona Farrell

Thanks so much Podbros.
    A little daunting the task ahead but hopefully I can do it.
    A few lamps to fix..I like a challenge though!
    Busy time of year and not much daylight which doesn't help.
    Thanks again.
    Fiona