Hi,a quick intro

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Duck, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Duck United States

Just wanted to take a few minutes to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Joe, I live in California for now. A lot of you know me from CCS and CCF. I have been coming to this site for a while but just recently registered. The reason I’m posting now ( my first post here) is I just picked up my first European lantern. It’s a Tilly and I have been wanting one for awhile. I know my way around Coleman’s but know absolutely nothing about Tillys so I plan on scouring Fettling forum for tips . Hopefully I’ll have it up and running but it maybe awhile because I’m busy packing up my house to move and spend a lot of my time deciding what I’m keeping and what I’m getting rid of. Excited to be here and I’m sure you all will keep my need to get more lanterns in check.
    Joe

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Duck
    G'day Joe and welcome to the light side.
    I'm sure you will get the information you need to get the Tilley running. [-o< :lol:

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Welcome to the light side, @Duck.

Cheers

Tony

4. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hello Joe,

Welcome aboard.

If you don't mind sending a few pictures of your Tilley it would make it easier to give some advice.

Cheers,

Norman

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

6. Duck United States

Robbie, Tony, Norman,Jeff, thank you for the welcome.
    Norman I'll try and get a pic to post this weekend. I was a little pressed for time yesterday. Barely had time to unpack it and post here because I had some errands to run. It's going to be a busy weekend, also got parts to fix my camper yesterday and I'm determined to get my workspace in the garage cleaned and organized.

7. george United States

Hi, Joe, welcome aboard!

8. Alex74

Alex74 United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome Joe from Tilley-land...Plenty of old ones about here. I started collecting about 2 years ago and have explored with a few vintage brands. I think Tilleys are among the easiest and robust lanterns out there. The old ‘pork pies’ in particular are built like armoured tanks using thick sheet brass, but most other vintage models are stout and long lasting.

9. Duck United States

This is a pic of my lantern from when I bought it. PXL_20201014_180812751_compress36.jpg PXL_20201014_180801244_compress53.jpg

10. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Joe and welcome from the Scottish Highlands. Your lamp is a Tilley X246B, it’ll have a date code stamped on the base. Straight forward to get going.

Stevie

11. eiremax

eiremax Subscriber

Next on the list should be a German made Petromax or one from its family, Geniol or Hipolito. All top class lanterns.