Hi from new member with an X246

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Geraint, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Geraint

D5B3860B-FC79-49A0-9A8F-9520B76CDEF0.jpeg CBEAA459-B3BF-4304-838E-8CA51E1B22CE.jpeg E5FF0D85-3AFE-4B67-B555-53A53D8E639F.jpeg DD07557C-2708-4E37-83CD-AF38EDB7A23E.jpeg CC7905E4-B5E2-411F-B0EE-D843B9D3001A.jpeg Hello, just taken this out of storage.
    Ordered a kit and hope to get it running soon. Only problem is with one of the cage legs, looks like the thread has snapped so I am reluctant to try the others.
    Open to any advice and hope you can see the pictures

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

Add penetrating oil to the other 3 and let them soak overnight, then try to tighten each one just a touch.
    That often unseizes them and if it does, then gently loosen them a little at a time.

The broken threaded part will need to be drilled out and the threads in the hole retapped and a new cage rod made, that cage does come apart, but it's been together since 1946, so it may be a bit stiff.

Do let us know how you get on.

3. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Geraint welcome to the forum. That X246 Pork Pie is a fine lamp and a good fettling project.
    I had this problem not so long ago. In my case I got a similar fount with all 4 legs snapped off below the lip of the fixing.
    As @JEFF JOHNSON suggested you will need to remove the entire frame using a penetrating oil and very carefully, on the good legs, tightening and untightening, by using minute degrees of movement.
    Then once you have the frame off, in the broken stud, drill a small hole, sized to take a small diameter easy out removal tool, down the centre of the broken stud thread, not right through just enough to take the easy out.
    I found that the easy out tool did the job well, in fact in 2 of my stud removals, the studs were quite loose and could be coached out by jamming a small screw driver into the drilled hole.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Pete

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Geraint

You have the first version of the X246: the “pork pie” tank and short bail (handle), so it’s from 1946/7.

It’s a great piece, but you’ll find that your fingers get hot carrying it with the short bail.

Cheers

Tony

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Welcome to the forum @Geraint . A fine looking lantern.

6. KAB

KAB Subscriber

Nice lamp, hope you have it lit and running soon

7. Graham P

Graham P Australia Subscriber

Take care with drilling or you may drill right through as those inserts have a blind hole
    The inserts also may be tilted slightly outwards, a reverse drill bit would be worth a try

8. plantpot

plantpot United States Subscriber

As above.

I have seen reverse drill bits used on youtube for extracting broken studs on engines etc, I reckon (I am no expert mind,) its the way to go on a slow careful drill at the correct angle, same as the cage legs. Even if it just makes the hole for the stud extractor.

9. plantpot

plantpot United States Subscriber

Might be worth checking out youtube to see how it's done, perhaps model making section has some tips if you have not done this kind of thing before.

10. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Geraint

Welcome to the forum.

You have a lovely lantern there which was only made in that guise for one year (I believe).

Good luck with your project.

Regards Jeremy

11. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Geraint, that’s a great lantern you have there. Follow all the above advice and you will be rewarded with a good amount of satisfaction!

Good luck with your fettle, Stevie