Hi, Help needed! I just bought a new BUTTERFLY 828/350

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by David Patrick, Mar 4, 2019.

1. David Patrick Spain

Today i took delivery of my new butterfly 828/350cp lantern.bought on fleabay, i have a large collection of tilleys and a few colemans,. i was pleasently suprised upon lighting up butterfly it popped first time and gives out a very strong white light its been lit a few hours now and the light is blinding i have to turn it down,gaves out a nice hiss which is sharper than than the tilley hiss but less noisey than the colemans,.
    my query is the pressure gauge is not marking,had to be a fault for only 50 euros paid!
    the lamp came with a reflector and a stack of spares. can anyone please advise me how to check for certain that the gauge is faulty.the lantern is brass i tested it.

1.jpg 9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2019
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

The pressure gauge may be faulty or perhaps the needle is stuck, try unscrewing the gauge from the tank and tapping it on a folded cloth which should be on a firm surface such as a table.

3. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

If it is brass you are lucky because that is a special version that Stuga-Cabaña sold for €119.
    The normal steel version was €69.

You can try to test the manometer by using a propane canister with the flange and tube connector.
    Regarding other members you should have about 2 Bar on the manometer then.

If you need a new manometer or other spare parts you can contact Stuga-Cabaña.
    Detailseite: Ersatzteile und Zubehör für Butterflylampen- - hytta.de

Michael

4. David Patrick Spain

Thanks for the advice and welcome.i have tried giving it a tap whilst on a cloth too no avail alas! the needle dosnt even budge unlike the gauge i have fitted on one of my colemans a slight knock moves the needle a tad, is it possible that the needle is stuck on the zero marker?.allthough the lamp was brand new, the pump leather along with the rubber gauge washer where rock hard so i changed them. i am reluctant to disassemble the gauge unit, i find it a little tricky inside. i will have another look when i get back from work. thanks again

5. David Patrick Spain

thanks for link, when you say flange for testing with butane i am not sure how i fit the cannister?

6. David Patrick Spain

Hi, i have tried to order another gauge via STUGA-CUBAÑA and cannot understand the language:-s,nor can i find a english or spanish page?

7. Sellig33

Sellig33 France Subscriber

8. MYN

Hello @David Patrick ,
    That's an old stock Butterfly unit. I'd say made by Lea Hin. Not a China-made. Most are steel but some are brass.
    Stuga-Cabaña does supply some made of brass as stated by @cmb56 . But those are normally supplied with black(if I recall correctly) pricker wheels and pump knobs. There's some difference in the shape of the pump knob too(its more similar to that of a Petromax).
    I've an old chrome or nickel-plated brass-bodied Butterfly that is unlikely to come via Stuga-Cabaña. It looks like yours with the usual red pricker wheel and pump knob.
    The faulty fuel-cap pressure gauge can sometimes be fixed. Just remove the rubber and transparent plastic window piece. Its not too complicated. Immerse the rest of it in acetone to clean up any dirt/gums, etc. Carefully nudge the indicator needle to see if its stuck. The spring coil could be obstructed by the rim of the gauge body. Do not try to disassemble the internals or you'll have hard time fixing it back. Lube the mechanism with some light machine-oil. Carefully reassemble the gauge back together and re-test as usual on the lantern.

9. MYN

Note: do not clean any of the rubber seals or gauge's plastic window piece with acetone or they'll be destroyed.

10. bp4willi Germany

Test the gauge with butane only. Butane has 2bar pressure. Don't test with propane. Propane has 7bar and will kill the gauge.
    Gas lighter refill. Check pure butane .

11. David Patrick Spain

Thanks for your kind help.as a last resort i will take off the perishables and soak,but i am not holding my hopes up!i tried the butane test on my coleman gauge i have from taiwan?¿ and the needle moved easy upon testing the butterfly gauge it didnt move so as it stands its not working at present.
    yes it having a brass tank was a nice suprise the threads seem more robust.its the first new old stock lamp i have bought,most are tilleys and a few bialaddin and colemans. i am still on that learning curve but have become quite handy at restoring tilleys with help from this very good site. i have ordered a new gauge the lamp is worth it. i am very suprised by the light output on the butterfly its brighter than any of the colemans and dosnt hiss like a viper?.i have checked the STUGA-CABAÑA and they selling the brass lamp for 118ish? but with the black wheels instead of the red.i dont think thats expensive for a well made lamp.
    thanks all

12. David Patrick Spain

thanks. i notice the part numbers are the same 149,same number as butterfly leaflet:-s

13. MYN

Yes David. The parts list will be the same. Stuga-Cabaña(hytta.de) don't manufacture them. The Butterfly they are selling are specially made for them by probably Lea Hin according to specifications. The glass globes might vary. Some Butterfly globes are made by Schott of Germany. It'll be handy to order some spare filler caps/gauges and other spare parts from them while they are available.
    I've revived a number stuck, non-functional Butterfly, Petromax and similar gauges before this. Some are recoverable, some not. You can boil them in water to help free up the hollow spring mechanism by expansion and purge some acetone or carb cleaners through all the openings. Its always more satisfying to revive one than replacing it with a new part.

14. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice lantern. About the guage problem, apart from the slightly inconvenience, you could choose to do nothing and leave it like it is, after all, if it shines bright enough for you, it's doing its job. One of my Anchor 950s has a stuck manometer but I've decided to leave it as it is.

15. David Patrick Spain

Hi Colin,if it was expensive part it would have been left as is,however the part only costs 8 euros new from Stuga-Cabaña,

16. David Patrick Spain

thank you for your help,i have ordered a new gauge from stuga-cabaña.now its on its way i can have a fiddle with the present gauge,but i might skip the acetone bath even after removing washer and plexi face screen i am still left with the painted enameled dial which will perish i think?¿,i will try the boiling water or carb cleaner first. i like this butterfly so much i am thinking about the STUGA-CABAÑA offer of 119 euros new.

17. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Wow, €8 is pretty cheap, but @MYN , your advice to soak the mechanism in acetone is definitely someting I might try!

18. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

As long as the filler cap/pressure gauge holds the pressure in the tank then that is the main thing.

19. David Patrick Spain

just been told by STUGA-CABAÑA that the BUTTERFLY 826M is out of stock will not be restocked. :roll: anyone know of any other outlets?

20. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

Sorry for my mix-up in my head when I mentioned the wrong gas tube.
    It is of course the butane one for cigarette lighters and not the propane one for stoves that I really meant.

MYN is correct to what I can see. Your lantern is made by the real Butterfly manufacturer Lea-Hin and not the Chinese brand with the same name and logotype.

The spare parts Stuga-Cabaña has is made by Lea-Hin and are completely original for your lantern.
    The Butterfly logotype on the glass chimney is normaly green on the original but white on the Chinese ”copy”.

Michael

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  21. David Patrick Spain

Thanks Michael, i sussed you meant cig lighter butane. had a chat with stuga-cabaña and it seems they are just letting their stock sell out then no more butterflys of Lea-Hin that i know of,elusive butterflys!!!.i just got lucky buying mine i didnt know it was a 826M and yes the logo on the glass is green.

22. MYN

The Butterfly lantern manufacturing facility has shifted to Indonesia for a while by now. Lea Hin as I can see it, has been gradually phasing out the production of most, if not all of their GPA products, Butterfly included. Unless of course if the demand and order is of some sizeable quantities. They are more to making modern utensils and equipment now.
    Anyway, @David Patrick , the painted enamel dial could also be de-faced if you spray too much carb cleaner on it. Just use mineral spirits to clean that.
    The aluminium dial face piece could easily be removed to expose the internal mechanisms of the gauge. That'll ease cleaning and fixing of the problem.
    The remaining mechanisms and gauge casing are completely metal and would not be damaged by any organic cleaning solvents. So its safe to wash, immerse or clean it with these. Do not use acids or alkalis on it, as you wouldn't want to corrode the tiny pieces.
    As long as nothing is broken internally, it can mostly be fixed. The hollow flat spring is soldered-on only.
    As a note, the gauge's needle could sometimes merely be stuck by the plexiglas piece, being too closely fitted on or pressing on it. You can pressure test and check the gauge's functionality without the plexiglass attached.

23. MYN

Yes, that's the original, real Butterfly brand. If you observe the Butterfly logo itself, you'll see the obvious difference. The original has a more 'elaborate' butterfly logo shape while the China-mades have a simpler shape.
    The new China-made Butterfly is a completely different lantern from the original.

24. David Patrick Spain

thanks Michael, at the moment i am having trouble taking the top off the gauge to get at the plastic cover,years ago i had a petromax gauge that i un screwed the pressure release screw and it came fully off to enable to dismount the cover after undoin the small screw at the side, However on the butterfly the pressure release screw dont come completely off

25. David Patrick Spain

Thanks for all the help recieved regarding my butterfly 826m pressure gauge,i can gladly report its now working dont know how but it just burst into life and registered 2 bars. instead of submerging it in boiling water i put it on the top of the heater and left it,let it cool down and fitted it and bingo! Just a last comment regarding this 826M BUTTERFLY its the first NOS lamp i have bought,my collecton includes 10 tilleys,last count!!!ranging from TL 14 to 246 and in between,along with a few vapalux and colemans.
    i started a few years ago buying old tilleys to fix up and suprised myself how easy it was to restore plus the cheap parts available.
    Besides being functional works of art i like the different light outputs one for every mood,.having said that the butterfly gives out serious light by far the brightest on the block! dosnt use much parrafin i use zibro crystal brand not cheap but very good.the butterfly been on now all week and so far its a fine lamp but would avoid the rapid model along with other rapid lanterns less than 500cp

26. MYN

Great news to hear that. Putting the gauge on the heater helped expand and possibly cleared or soften some sticky dirt in the hollow spring mechanism.
    I've fixed/free up some of these mechanisms by re-melting the solder on the spring with a soldering iron.(it needs to be done very carefully or you'll risk damaging them permanently).