Hipolito

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Gareth Shepherd, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Gareth Shepherd

Gareth Shepherd United Kingdom Subscriber

I picked up this Hipolito at Nurmous Newark with @Gary Waller at the weekend. It came with a poor condition mantle, so I gave it a try. It worked, but then the mantle fell to bits. I've given it a strip down and a good clean and I'm waiting on a new mantle now

20191212_190101.jpg

2. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Is that a 350 or a 500CP?
    I have a 500 and it is very very bright with a Petromax Helox mantle on it.

On the downside it is also a bit noisy so I wonder about fitting the 350 jet and needle. I think it would still be bright enough and it might be quieter
    with longer run time. It is a bit thirsty.

3. Gareth Shepherd

Gareth Shepherd United Kingdom Subscriber

It's the 500cp version. Looking forward to getting it going properly and seeing it in all its glory!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2019
  4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A lucky find!:thumbup:

5. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

As for the noise: the adjustment screw in the J-tube is considered not to help eliminate the noise.

Also check for a dent in the J-tube due to the fixation screw. although there is a plate, the screw head sometimes pokes through the plate and dents the J-tube.

All dents and obstructions cause an abnormal airflow.

6. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Thanks Wim, I know I have a large dent from the air screw. It works too well to do anything about it but it could contribute to increased noise I suppose.

7. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

Noise of PX lanterns comes mostly from the jet, the air intake side of j tube and the (not needed) mixing paddle in j tube.

You will reduce noise, if you remove the mix paddle and care for rounded edge of air intake.
    Jet noise is just luck per individual piece.

The Tilley jets are from steel not brass as in PX. Not sure if this is relevant for Tilley jets are less noisy.

8. Emiel

Emiel Netherlands Subscriber

Great find Gareth. I'm also fettling up an old Hipolito at the moment. Great lamps. Similar to the P 829/500.
    Unit has been disassembled and parts of it are now in the acetone bath. The outside parts are all covered in greenish spots. I think this lamp belonged to a fisherman using it on the beach. Hopefully it will clean up nicely.
    Keep us updated on your fettle.
    BR, Emiel

9. MarkC

MarkC Subscriber

So, is there an easy way to remove or reduce the size of the dent in the j tube. I have a couple of Optimus lamps that have been clamped in too tight.

10. MYN

Its possible but not exactly a piece of cake.
    You can insert a piece of rounded steel rod having a diametre slightly smaller (not too snug or you'd have trouble pulling it out again) than the I.D. of the tube and then gently peening the dent from the outside. Tapping the rod so that it goes in further. You'd eventually be able to work the depression out. Some heat might help. Take care that you don't flare the threaded end of the tube in the process.