How can I upload a spreadsheet document?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Jun 25, 2022.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Moderators, how can I upload a spreadsheet file? I've created a lantern glass chart but I need others to be able to see it and add their contributions.

Rgerards
    Colin

2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

3. ColinG

I've left a message.

4. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Besides the how, there may be a safety risk when you upload a "live" actual spreadsheet.
    Not everybody uses windows, not everybody is familiar with excel, not everybody uses the same "date" format, not everybody has the same text format.
    It would take more work to keep the file "correct" then it would take you, me, to add contributions and then put it online.
    Also it then would be good to have an edit mode more then 30min.Otherwise you get not one table but multiple tables.

"Best" solution I found was a kind of "screendump".
    Please take a look here: WWW.PETROMAX.NL - RADIATION
    The table is a spreadsheet but it shows like a static table.

5. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

I'm sure I have seen a list of acceptable file formats and Microsoft Office file formats are not, e.g., Word and Excel. I recall too that Microsoft files can contain macros sometimes and these are certainly a security risk.

HTML is and there has been a post showing the standard codes required for producing a table but it is not readily suitable for most people not familiar with HTML.

My suggestion would be for a group of three people to take the task on and place the master spreadsheet in a Google shared drive. Each could update it as their time permits from any posts by members with new details.

Then once, say every 3 months, convert the current file to PDF and publish it. I suspect the moderators could lock the file at the top of the appropriate forum as several topics are currently.

Iain

6. ColinG

Sounds reasonable to me but im not a spreadsheet expert in any way!

Once I've got the data assembled as far as I'm able (or willing) I'll leave it to others to decide how it can be made available and in which format.

Firstly however, I've just received a massive amount of new data which needs to be integrated onto my spreadsheet but I'll also need to see if the format of the new data has any lessons/tricks I can use.

7. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

PDF is always a winner - however not easily editable..