How the heck does this come off?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by R100, Aug 11, 2019.

1. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

Jeff on post number 2 here Aaaaargh! Why did I join this forum?
    intimated that the control knob on my Vapalux 300X can be difficult to remove, and he ain't kidding.

I have used penetrating fluid, clamped the spindle in my vice (aluminium jaws) and used pliers on the knob cushioned with leather, but wilt it heck unscrew. Anyone found a solution?

2. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

Problem solved! A lengthy soaking in a concoction of acetone and three-in-one oil did the trick. I couldn't find my Plus Gas so followed a recommendation on this excellent forum. (I had no ATF).

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well done!:thumbup::thumbup:

4. plantpot United Kingdom

I had problems with mine, I soaked it in WD, at first (rubbish) then made some home brew 3 in One/Acetone, as sugested by a brilliant member on here, and let soak.

Using two mole grips one on the brass shaft and one on the bakelite control, wrapped in very fine wet and dry, rough side down (had no leather, and cloth slips), adjusted the grips to the point of no slippage and gentle grip with no crushing gave a sharp but gentle crack to the control.

Bingo!

Also had major problems on seized top fastenings (screws and bolts) to the hood no matter how much penetrating oils used.

Solution using a micro pen torch and heating the inside nuts till red and dropping a little water from a medical syringe and needle on the the screw part. After a couple of cracks and a minute to cool it undid perfectly

[​IMG]

I have found this little torch great for soldering as well, refillable using lighter gas and drops in the toolbox nicely. 3 quid on flea bag

5. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@plantpot The joys of adapting, well done and thank you for sharing your experiences.
    I like that little torch, I’m off today to get one, it looks to be a handy gaget to have in the fettling tool box.
    Cheers
    Pete