Imperial Blowlamp washer

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Glen Campbell, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Glen Campbell United Kingdom

Hi all
    I have my Fathers very old Paraffin Blowlamp, which I’ve restored but the only thing I’m stuck with is the rubber washer which goes onto the output put that screws into the body.
    The MM size is 17mm outer and 12mm inner, but I’m struggling to get an imperial washer for it.
    Would you know where I might get one and what imperial size?
    Always grateful for any help
    Cheers
    Glen

2. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

I bought sheets of varying thicknesses of viton from the the 'Bay and cut my own using hollow punches. Alternatively you could contact The Fettlebox.

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

For threaded joints like that you might try just sealing the threads with copper slip. I have found that works on Primus type stoves where the burner and meth cup is normally sealed with a compression fibre washer. I have done this several times now by cleaning off the old washer residue and just filling the threads with slip and so far never had a leak. Saves a deal of head scratching over washer sizes and very easy to do. ::Neil::

4. Glen Campbell United Kingdom

Wow! That’s a new one!! Copper slip!!! I’ll definitely try that! failing that I’ll look Viton and try and make my own. I have sent an email to Fettlebox but can you imagine the hunting for one tiny washer!!!
    Much obliged guys

5. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Surprised the hell out of me as well. I got seriously frustrated trying to fit a washer on a three leg stove and the new burner washers kept disintegrating on me so I tried with just the copper slip and it worked with a perfect seal. Not used a washer on a burner since and not had any problems. ::Neil::