Introducing myself

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Sooty, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Sooty

Good evening gentlemen, and ladies too of course.

I had been aware of CPL for a while but feel the time has come to introduce myself before beginning to ask all sorts of noddy questions in an attempt to get my lamps to light properly. But perhaps a word or two...

I am now retired from full-time work and turning to the lamps I have in the garage and which have not seen any action for many a year. I used to fish nights on the beaches of Sussex with a friend and he usually provided the illumination. However, since he moved a couple of hundred miles away, I needed to obtain my own lamps. However, my early attempts to get them to fire up were none too successful - hence the reference to 'Sooty'! I'm amazed I have any eyebrows left and I confess I have spent a lot of time cleaning the glassworks of the lamps after my disasters.

He did give me a Coleman lamp, which I still have, but I am fearful of the combination of petrol, pressure and naked flame!

Thus, I bought myself a paraffin lamp, then another and a third and I find I now have more than half a dozen on the shelf ranging in age right back to 1950: a Vapalux, several Bialladins, a Tilley and an Optimus 930. One or two are unused and a couple need attention as I suspect various seals etc. are past their 'best before' date. But, before I start to search through the archives and send a request to various spare part suppliers for the necessary supplies, I do have a couple of initial questions if I may, please.

1. The meths dish on the Optimus 930 has come loose. Does this have to be re-welded or can I glue it in place in some way?
    2. Which mantle should I be using for the Optimus 930? I have a few assorted mantles from the fishing shop but will order new ones if none of mine are suitable.

Thank you for your help and I look forward to being able to show some of my lamps up and running in due course.

Cheers, Chris (aka Sooty)

2. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Chris and welcome.

As with most lamp related problems, photos are extremely useful and prevent wires getting crossed when dealing with so many different parts/naming conventions/fuel types/manufacturers... etc etc. For instance, you need to know which version of Optimus 930 you have - the 300cp or 500cp version.

A few photos of your collection would be great and as for the Coleman, they have extra safety features that make them safer than say a Tilley or a Petromax. Also, quite a few of the Coleman range of lanterns can be made to run on Paraffin with a few adaptations.

Regards
    Colin

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day @Sooty and welcome to CPL.
    I believe the Meths dish was originally spot welded on. I'm not sure if glue would stand the heat.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

5. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Sooty
    Welcome from Queensland Australia.
    Pictures would be great for clarification on the questions.
    There is a lots of friendly help and experience on this forum and I’m sure you’ll get answers and also contribute as well.
    Cheers
    Pete

6. KAB

KAB Subscriber

Good evening @Sooty and a warm welcome to the light side :D/
    You will find many answers from the good people here, just ask a question and add pictures.

You say your friend moved away, does that mean you still reside in Sussex? There are a few in the county that may be able to help in person, especially with your Tilley and Bialaddin / Vapalux issues and once in a while we gather, chat, enjoy a drink and light a lamp, sorry, many lamps.:lol:

7. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

A 500cp Optimus 930 would be something to see. Never heard of such biggest is 350cp and they are not too common.

Petrol lamps? Been here before. Once the fuel is in the lamp and the lamp is serviced it is no more dangerous than a kero lamp and in general most old Coleman are safer than a lot of pressure lamps of either persuasion. The fuel needs a bit more care perhaps but good working Coleman is normally a reliable and very safe lantern. What model do you have? Some of the older types are very good lamps indeed.

Your 930 will take just about any 300cp single tie mantle. I run mine on Coleman 21As but any make will do the job.

::Neil::

8. JonD

JonD Subscriber

@Sooty - Great handle! It's amazing no one thought of it before. :mrgreen:

9. Sooty

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome (and the reassurance regarding Coleman!). I will try to upload some photos but thought perhaps a list of my lamps might be of interest. Yes, still in Sussex (Horsham).

The Optimus 930 is 300CP (candle power?) and the Coleman is labelled Powerhouse 295.

I have two Bialladin 320 lamps, both in silver with green tops. One was pretty dirty and has had a clean up; the other is looking ok, but both need a fettle and, I suspect, both would need new seals etc.

I have a green Vapalux 305 dated 1972 that is as new and a green Bialladin 300X dated 1950 which is also as new. I also have a green Bialladin 305 dated 1955 and finally, still in its box, a green Vapalux M320 (or that is what it says on the card with it). I was told it was from 1950 but can't find either a name or date on it. Indeed, it seems devoid of any name at all.

It has a small red tin (for meths?) in the box that has never been used as the cork seal is dry and intact, plus a number of mantles and the original Willis and Bates card of instructions.

The four green lamps look to have had very little if any use as the paint on the tanks is largely intact. I haven't tried to light any of these as I wanted to 'practice' on the two that have already seen some action.

Oh, and a plain old Tilley 246.

Each year I wanted to get them to light ahead of bonfire night but, well, there is only so much soot you can cope with.

Cheers,
    Sooty

10. kero-scene Australia

Welcome @Sooty,

With that range of lanterns: US, UK and Sweden, Preston loop and straight vapourisers, shellite and kerosene (in the correct lantern of course!), perhaps you’re next move should be a Tilley floodlight?

11. Sellig33

Sellig33 France Subscriber

@Sooty ,
    Welcome from France.

12. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Coleman 295 is a later type and one I would approach with a little more caution. They are pretty good but perhaps not quite as simple as the older types. I know I have a couple of them somewhere but I have not fired one up for years. I prefer to use the older types. As with any lamp do a pressure test without any fuel and under water to make sure you have no leaks. A set of new seals is probably sensible. It will run with unleaded gasoline but will perform better with a naphtha such as brake cleaner or panel wipe. Won’t run any better but the cleaner fuel is kinder to the generator. They are an Instant-Lite so give it some pressure then crack the valve and apply a match. Once the mantles are bright open to run. You can find the instructions here COLEMAN 295A INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE Pdf Download.

::Neil::

13. Sooty

Thank you Neil. Will do the checks first before using!
    Sooty