Is it possible to use some Optimus 100N parts on a Santrax 150CP lantern?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Matti Kucer, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Matti Kucer

Matti Kucer Sweden Subscriber

I have a battered Optimus 100N. Bought it only for parts. It lacks all except for tank, vapourizer and its lower parts (control wheel) and the Preston loop and nipple.
    I'm thinking of using the parts on a 150CP Santrax lantern that doesn't run well.

There are a small difference but if I can use the complete Optimus vapourizer on the Santrax i think it will improve, and the Optimus parts keeps living.

Is it possible to loosen the vapourizer or is it soldered?
    And how about the threads, will it fit the Santrax?

There isn't much to find regarding the 100N model.

Thank You for any advice.

Optimus 100N:

IMG_20200702_222525.jpg IMG_20200702_222532.jpg

IMG_20200702_222539.jpg

Santrax:

IMG_20200702_223522.jpg

Regards Matti Kucer

2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

That sounds so familiar. I bought an incomplete 100N to fix one I had with a leaky tank. It turns out that there are some minor differences between the two, so I need to have examples of both. Now I still need to fix the leaky tank and I have a 100N minus the top. It never ends. :)

I have never had the lower vaouriser part out of a 100N tank. I would assume it is soldered in. There might even be some fitting on the inside of the tank. As for the threads, if you have both patts to hand just try it. :)

3. isfuzzy

isfuzzy Subscriber

Hi @Matti Kucer
    what is wrong with the Santrax 150?
    I had a battle with the Pmax 150 in the past and I lost. I sold it to a collector who doesn't have the heart to let it see fire again.

Years later I miss the 150.. I managed to get a brass Santrax. It too doesn't run well. Runs today and doesn't the next day.
    However, this time I found the solution to the problems I had. I broke the ceramic burner while stripping the lamp apart. I've had a stainless burner in my parts box which I had purchased no idea when.

What a REVELATION

Starts out every time now.. I must say i only soft start. I plan to seal up the rapid starter. Just drinks too much fuel on these tiny lamps..

4. Matti Kucer

@isfuzzy it runs but smells and the mantle gets black. Have tried to change the distance between the nozzle and the J-tube, but same result. Haven't tried brass gauze net yet, but ran across the 100N and now want to install its complete vapourizer onto the Santrax.

5. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

I really can't understand why people think this way. As far as fuel consumption is concerned, running the rapid preheater is near enough the same as running a 250 cp lantern. Depending on things like ambient temperature and how clean the vapouriser is, the usual time for the preheater to do its job is between 30 and 40 seconds, even if takes a full minute, it uses very little fuel. Air pressure yes but kero, most definitely not.

I have a 150 cp geniol lantern and the reason I don't use the rapid preheater is not because it uses too much fuel (because it doesn't), it's because the flame gets too near the glass and there is a risk of creating a hot spot which could eventually lead to a broken glass.

Henry.

6. george

george United States Subscriber

@Henry Plews
    Agree, Henry! The problem is overheating the glass. On the small Px types I use the alcohol cup. I rarely light mine, it's just too much of a PIA!

7. Matti Kucer

Last report regarding the Optimus 100N.

It's soldered, and cannot be taken out of the tank. The tank is in bad condition. I'll salvage the pump with NRV, the control wheel and the rod and sell as spare parts. Hoped in vain they would fit the Santrax 150CP.
    The Preston loop though works perfect on the Santrax. Over and out.

8. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Ha ha, so many times I've bought a 'donor' lantern onl to to realise it's actually worth getting! This is one of the many ways they breed!

9. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

You are so right Colin ...](*,)

10. isfuzzy

isfuzzy Subscriber

And much irony, the donor gets restored with minimal work. After that you realize, "great, now i got 345,876 of the this lamp on the shelves"

11. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

As a side note, I wish my bl00dy phone would stop correcting fettling into getting! It's damned annoying!