Just picked these up for £30

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by tim newcombe, Nov 25, 2020.

1. tim newcombe

tim newcombe United Kingdom Subscriber

Just picked these up for £30 for the boy. both pumps work and the vaporizers are clear. My question is what is the best product to redo the top ? one has seen better days. i make knives so i do have a oven in my man cave ;-)

125786121_10158329454848884_9000915139137391715_o.jpg

2. tim newcombe

I've never seen one with a silver tank before too

3. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Good find. People here have re-enameled but as the x246b is quite common I would put up with it until a better cap comes along..

4. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

The silver one looks like the chrome version, that tank should clean up well along with the chrome on the frame, if not they can be painted. The enamel tops I'm afraid when they are gone they are gone, people have tried VHT paint but its not awfully successful, other options like re-enameling are usually cost prohibitive.

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Actually, speculum metal rather than chrome... :)

6. tim newcombe

My dad says its nickel and rare as hens teeth and i should clean it with kitchen foil i think he may be pulling my leg about tin foil tho but will get him to try it as i have a roll in shed i use to mix epoxy glues on

7. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Yes and no.
    Scrunched-up kitchen foil moistened with water is excellent for cleaning rust spots from chrome, there is information on the internet and videos on YouTube. It may work on the "Speculum" plated steel frame.

There is no chrome (or nickel) plate on your lantern, as @David Shouksmith says, it's speculum. I'm sure there's an article which describes it in detail somewhere on the Forum. Basically, the "Speculum" plate used by Tilley is itself an alloy that includes arsenic, it is the arsenic which gives the mirror finish.

In general, plated Tilley X246Bs are actually quite common. It's the ones in excellent condition which are rare.

8. tim newcombe

got a couple of tiny dents in the tank am i right in thinking i can heat them and presure may pop them out ?

9. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's a bad idea to apply heat to those tanks, a few small dents are just part of the history of those lanterns.

10. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

To my knowledge, if you're talking about the enamelled hood, there's no paint that will withstand the temperatures they are exposed to. We're talking about temperatures approaching 1000 deg and even the most extreme high temperature paints will begin to degrade after a few use cycles. Vitreous enamel coatings and metal plating were the only surface coverings used and there's a reason for that. Fortunately, good Tilley hoods are often found on eBay and other sites so your options basically boil down to living with the hoods you've got or buying the best replacements you can.

It's often assumed there must be some alternative type of paint that will survive but so far no one has demonstrate one that works.