Just to say Hi

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Richiep, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Richiep United Kingdom

Hello from sunny Dorset well wet at the moment, I've started on my little project, its a lamp we have had in the family for years, i'm not sure on the date there's no markings except on the on/off knob which says tilley, i would like to get it back to its full beauty. I have sent off for the service pack but the small washers have a small leg on them I need the round ones, lol i can see this is going to be a big learning curve for me. tilley1.jpg

tilley2.jpg

2. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Richie, welcome to the forum. You'll get a lot of pleasure bringing your old Tilley X246 back to life, it's not as daunting as it first may appear.
    I've a couple or four of these lamps and they're good and sturdy. Lots of knowledge here, so don't be afraid to ask!

Good luck with the lamp and post a photo once you get it going.

Stevie

BTW, watch out, you might get bitten by the lamp bug...

3. Richiep United Kingdom

lol yes Stevie, i think your right, this lamp is a old fav as i remember dropping it as a lad & cracking the glass, got a new one now from tilley site.

1st question does the turning no/off knob (black) come off easy ish as i've tried, with not too much force i must say i've had it soaking in wd40, as i think i've got to replace the washer in there.

4. BigStevie

The control valve knob should screw off in an anti-clockwise direction.
    Yes, replace all the washers. It's a little 'O' ring on the control cock and often needs some patience to remove from the inside of the screw on collar. Another member recommended getting a set of cheap dental picks off fleabay, they've been a sound investment!
    All the parts should be assembled hand tight only. If you have any tight items, such as the filter on the bottom of the control cock and the non return valve at the base of the pump, use a piece of old leather wrapped around to protect the brass.

Should you get the bug I suggest you subscribe to the forum as it gives you access to a lot of information!

Have fun and don't hesitate to ask for help.

Stevie.

PS. Eight months ago I had a normal non lamp life.... now, well, I'm infected....

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    The black knob unscrews from the shaft anti-clockwise.

The cylindrical packing box that houses the washer(s) also unscrews anti-clockwise (after you remove the black knob).

You have a Tilley X246.

Cheers

Tony

@Richiep

EDIT: crossed with @BigStevie

6. BigStevie

Here's a posh (export) version of your lamp...
    x246export.jpg

7. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

That's a very shiny plated x246! Very nice indeed!

And Richiep, your lantern will clean up nicely and give years of service! The original X246 (as opposed to the X246b) is a sturdy, reliable workhorse - I've ended up with 5 of them and I wasn't even trying!

8. Richiep United Kingdom

looking good, not sure i can get mine quite that shiney Steve but lets give it a go, you never know a genie might pop out

9. paparazi

Quote..'the small washer has a leg on it' I can only guess that this is the NRV (non return valve) seal..there are two common types, the version that sits in the small spring and has a step (leg) and the smaller round "pip' that sits in a brass cup and guide. ????? Does this sound right? I think the fettlebox kits come with both types.

10. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

11. Richiep United Kingdom

Thanks

12. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Welcome aboard @Richiep ........ have fun learning and there's plenty to learn. Plenty of friendly knowledge on this forum.
    Cheers
    Pete

13. Richiep United Kingdom

This is not having it, if I give it any more I feel like it’s not going to end well

Attached Files:

14. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

15. Richiep United Kingdom

Yes thanks, I’ll soak it in WD & thanks for the link I’ve ordered it up.

16. AussiePete

@Richiep It does unscrew, I’ve been in your position where it seems it will break before giving. However, as hard as it seems, I have never had one that actually broke, they always unscrewed eventually, a bit of Brutus Forceus without distorting the knob with pliers as such is needed. That is to say, others may have had the sad experience of breaking it, but I’ve not and there have been some real tough ones.

17. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Richiep

After you soak in penetrating oil, screw the cylindrical packing box back on its thread, enough to be able to grip the shaft that the black knob is connected to. Use small pliers and a piece of leather (so as not to scar the shaft). Grip tightly, then unscrew the black knob. If that doesn’t budge it, repeat, but this time use leather and multi-grips on the knob as well (don’t grip too hard on the knob and break it. Firm enough to stop it slipping).

Tony

18. Richiep United Kingdom

Thanks for your help I will give it another try tomorrow

19. Jones the lamp

Jones the lamp Subscriber

Tilley control cock shaft.jpg

I use 2 strips of 5mm x 5mm aluminium with a 1/8" hole drilled at the junction of the 2. I used 1 0.5mm shim between the 2 to enable the 2 pieces to grip the 1/8" shaft.
    I use long nose locking pliers to hold the shaft. This prevents marring of the shaft

20. AussiePete

Well done. You won’t be caught like that again.
    Cheers
    Pete

21. Richiep United Kingdom

8396EB54-ED73-4439-9120-E0DC3B2F17A3.jpeg we’ve only gone & done it lol yaya thx guys

22. BigStevie

There you go Richie, a true lampie now!

23. AussiePete

Well done, you’re on your way ...... enjoy the fettle and the first light up, or as we say the “money shot” ....

24. Richiep United Kingdom

Lol yes looking forward to that

25. Richiep United Kingdom

4593D943-5161-42F2-A7FD-C4D04365381C.jpeg 6D5BF6A0-D18B-4F7D-81C3-2A7AD04B1884.jpeg I think I need new vaporiser & burner were can I get these? The thread seems to be us

Attached Files:

26. BigStevie

New vapourisers and burners are available on fleabay.

I'd try soaking the vapouriser in WD to see if you can remove the brass tube that appears to be stuck on it. The burner should sit over the vapouriser and isn't secured, so should move with a bit of WD and perhaps a bit of heat. If you can save the vapouriser it'll save you money!
    Having said all this, the vap and burner from a later lamp (X246B) will fit, you can maybe find a complete old X246B cheap. Otherwise ask in the wanted section of the site, they'll be someone out there with a spare burner I'm sure...

Stevie

27. Richiep United Kingdom

Ok steve thanks,omg I think this lamp thing is eating at me lol
    So I’ve got the copper/brass funnel like thing off, I thought it screwed in the burner, so what is it & do I need a burner I was hoping that I could restore this one, but if I can’t then so be it

Attached Files:

28. BigStevie

Okay, it looks like part of the spigot tube you've removed is still in the burner, the end has broken off in the burner housing.
    Back to the WD, give the burner a good soak and see if you can tease the broken bit of the spigot tube out of the bottom of the burner. If it's not for budging, try some heat.

You can buy a new spigot tube on fleabay:

tilley 707 | eBay

If it turns out the burner is beyond repair, there are new and second-hand burners to be had on fleabay.

Stevie

29. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

You might try a penetrating oil instead of WD40. It's great stuff and I use it here but it was designed as a water dispersant and does have lubricating qualities but as a penetrating oil it just isn't very good. You can buy something that suggests it is an easing or penetrating oil or you use the best of all and make your own with a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Maybe a light cooking oil if you can't find auto transmission oil.

Incidentally your lantern is an X246 made 1950 to 1954. Makes it one of the best Tilley made.

::Neil::

30. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

A point I've been meaning to make for some days but just didn't get near to my computer enough! :doh: WD = Water Dispersant. Apparently it's paraffin / kerosene with some perfume added...